Putting down roots in Thailand.

The time has come to put down some roots here in Thailand. I set out my plan below and would welcome your comments.

Next month I am getting married and we expect our first child in December. I am at present living in a house in Nonthaburi. I am planning to set up a company with my wife to purchase a bigger house in the same sheltered village. It is half-way between two colleges and near to King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology, the village is populated by a mixture of professional, middle class Thais and an annually refreshed student component. The house I am thinking of buying is a three-storey corner property at the front of the village. It is of the Chinese shop-house variety with shuttered front doors. Ground floor has a half floor above and then two more floors above that. It is huge, new and reasonably priced. So far so good; accommodation is sorted.

My chosen employment is teaching English; I am teaching in Thailand, not, in Thailand, teaching, (subtle but important difference). The salary paid to teachers is, by Thai standards, reasonable but with an eye on the future I wish to maximise my earnings. Now, as we will set up a company to purchase this house, and given the amount of room and location of the house, my thoughts turn, again, to my own language school. I could run some employment in tandem with my own classes at first, until established. Let me paint the scenario as I see it.

My GF/wife has an MBA and used to train bank personnel in software packages, she could teach Thais to use microsoft packages. For this she would need some PCs, maybe 4. As the village has no Internet Café the PCs could be used as such when no classes are running. Administration would need photocopiers etc, more sources of revenue from the locals. I could teach English in a classroom set up as I want it. I think there is a big enough pool of potential clients to make this possible. I would also be running a canoe and kayak touring operation with farang customers on the Mae nam kwae noi in Kanchanaburi.

I also intend to act as an agent in the export of orchids, cut flowers and plants.

Questions:- Is it possible to get a work permit for myself in so small an operation?

Has anyone done something similar?

What is the best way to set up a company (assets will be worth about 1.8 million baht)?

I’d like to stay here if possible, but if the hurdles are too great then I will go to Japan or Korea. Does anyone know if I can get resident visas for my wife and forthcoming child from either of these countries?

Any advice is welcome thanks in advance

A farang mate of mine set up his own school from his home.

I'm not in LOS at the moment but when I get back there (unfortunately in a months time) I'll ask his advice for you unless someone has come along with some info beforehand.

Sorry he doesn't have email!!!!!! He did get a work permit from it and is making good money, by Thai teaching standards.

About companies, I know you have to be specific about what the company will do so a school / internet cafe / tourist guide / gardening operation might be stretching it a bit.

Good luck

A number of things to consider.

One, tour operations etc... is a restricted profession to Thais. Even looking like you are leaing a tour operation can get you kicked out and blacklisted if someone doesn't like you and tattles.

Setting up a Company isn't that hard. Probably want to setup your business and see if it works. If it works or seems viable after a month or two, then setup your Company.

If you are going to setup your Company anyways, then go ahead. Know that in order for you to get a work permit, you have to employ a certain # of thais (4 or 7. I think 4). Once you get your work permit, you have to pay yourself a minimum amount of money, thus you have a minimum payment to the gov't for taxes on your salary (no great biggee for most).

Question is will you have enough traffic to sustain your business? Don't know. If you are going to buy PC's, I'd check the grounding in the house you are going to buy (non-existent). After you have grounded your electricity, I would really recommend getting a line stabilizer and possibly a UPS. Electricity in Thailand can be quite flaky.

If you haven't taught English, I would really recommend you take one of the 4-week cert. courses. It's not much money in the scheme of things and you'll pick up things that will make running your classes much easier. I've taught finance, computers, math, and maybe one or two other subjects professionally in the US. I learned stuff from a cert. course that more than justified the cost and time sink. Teaching English as a Foreign language to Thais is quite a bit different than what I was used to doing.

If you do setup shop, please let me know. I can use all the contacts I can get :p

Best wishes for you and yours. May you have a gloriously ugly baby (only for the first few months, heh).

<<burp>>

P.S.: Get yourself a non-immigrant Visa from where you are. Don't wait till you are over here. I got 6-month muli-entry visa with a nice letter from myself and an application form. I should have asked for a 12-month visa.

This will save you hassles if you have to convert a tourist visa.

<<burp>>

Originally posted by coquetislander:

[QB]The time has come to put down some roots here in Thailand. I set out my plan below and would welcome your comments

Hello Coquet,

One thought as I read this that might be of interest. There is an english school here called NAVA (I think) that franchises their school name and helps set things up for English language schools. I have seen their schools at some of the major shopping areas (MBK and Siam I think). I know they have information seminars occassionally in Bangkok about what is involved in setting up a franchise school with them. Might plan to check it out to see to get a little education and to see if there are any unexpected pitfalls you might avoid in your venture. Might even find it easier to set it up as a franchise. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

coquetislander

You must be living near me! Sounds like a good idea, if you (or wife) are going to go into teaching you should do well. I know a few people doing similar.

With a bit of creative writing you could even apply for BOI status!

Why not? Worst that happens is they reject you, besides which you are establishing legitimate business, really I can't see you haveing too many dramas!

Good Luck, email me if you want a drink locally, I have a software engineer living from what you discribe in the same village.

I'd thought I'd lost track of this thread.

If I can find out anything useful to you from my friend with the school what address can I email you at?

Archived