Another Question for the Experts; To Relocate or Not To Relocate (Lengthy Post)

teach,

one of the main things i would think about is the reason why you want to move to thailand.

if the main reason are the women, the odds of living here happily for a long time are definetly against you. don't forget, you move to a country with enormous social problems. these will affect you one way or the other after the first extasy is worn off. can you deal with that?

what still baffles me in thailand is the complete seperation between thai and expat life. most expats have no serious relationships outside the bars, or to their co workers, or their wife/girlfriends family? very different from places like china or india where you have to adapt or leave.

so many westerners are trapped in their illusion of thailand, it can be a rude awakening. are you ready for that?

i don't want to discourage you, i have had the same feelings like you, but i was still in school when i had them. so i left before i ever had any sort of career there.

at some point you have to jump into the cold water, but i think after having lived most of your adult life in your homecountry you are less flexible than the young boy i was back then.

if i were you i would spend first some time in an asian country where there is not this nightlife scene like in thailand existing, to find out if you can actually cope with living in asia. not everybody can.

often in thailand one tends to forget that one is in asia, it is too comfortable, all these nice women, the department stores, the illusion of the big ease. but it still is asia with all its problems. better you find out if you can cope fast than after a few years when you can't go back to your former life anymore.

i still think that if you want to go, then go, don't waste any time. the world is a great experience, don't walk from one mental prison into the next. you don't want to end up like some of the miserable cynics abound in thailand, not able to adapt, not able anymore to go back home, completely trapped.

good luck with whatever decision you make.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by teacherwannabe:

[QB]OK, I expect to get flamed on this one.

Try this first: Move for some month to Thailand or Philippines and stay there.

After that go back to your country and

after several time fligh back to Thailand.

So you can have time to try and test AND

Learn the Languages on your stays.

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: Mentors ]

t'wannabe

Spending several times in the Philippines and Thailand has given you a comfortable impression and you were able to catch-up you social life. I'm happy for you on this, but do not forget (correct me if I’m wrong) that you where there only for leisure purposes, thus whole days we are in the "holiday mood".

You could take some time off, stay in Thailand or Philippines for a while and see how life goes before make the move. If it is your intention to move, just to build-up a social life with an Asian woman, you will need the time anyway as this not going to work overnight.

As Flyonzewall said, “many westerners are trapped in their illusion of Thailand, it can be a rude awakening”.

Wish you all best

Archived