Visa application question

I'm filling out my tourist visa application today and one section asks for the name and address of references in the USA and Thailand. Is this required for a tourist visa?

JGA

Seriously coming for a year?

Hmm, I'd skip the tourist visa bit since they are a hassle. You have to exit and then come back. What if you want to stay or extend your time? I know lotsa folks have tons of tourist visa stamps in their passports, but if you are in the US, you don't need to have all those stamps.

Go for a 1-year non-immigrant multi-entry B visa. Probably be cheaper in the long run (if you are really counting your baht). Do some business research :p

<<burp>>

> Go for a 1-year non-immigrant multi-entry B visa.

I am not going to be in Thailand for business, so I can't get a non-immigrant "B" visa. Once I'm over there, I might apply for the one year investment visa. I would have to deposit 3 million baht in a bank account, but I don't know if I want to take a chance on the baht sliding over the next year.

JGA

If you there is a chance you might invest in Thailand, then definitely get a non-immigrant B visa.

Don't worry about not doing business. You really can't legally do business with a non-immigrant B visa in any case (need a work permit, hehe). Still have to do visa runs (you get stamped for 90 days. If you always get the 1 month extension, then you only have to do 3 runs over a year).

I replied via personal mail.

<<burp>>

Hmmmmmmmm....it is true that the tourist visa bit is a hassle. I am only here for 6 months and this length of stay wasn't planned, so I ended up using this visa route.

This hassle has been reduced for the past 3 stamps though (needed every month once my 60 days were up). Gummigut said that "you have to enter then come back" ...it is your passport that has to leave and then come back. Not entirely legal (or at all ??) but for 2000 bt it has vastly reduced my hassle.

So far so good BUT, if this system ever manages to lose my passport etc etc then I guess I'd be buggered.

• 2 weeks later...

All--

I just got a cable from a very good friend of mine that has been using this visa run service... He got a call from the visa service company.. They said that due to unfortunate "circumstances" that his passport was lost...Oh no...

He now has the unenviable job of getting a replacement passport and explanin how it is that he was in BKK and his passport was out of the country... hummmmmm....

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0

> To get the investment visa once you arrive here you must enter on a non-imm B visa anyway. You can't do it if you haven't.

The following web page specifically states that you can apply for a "change in visa status" from tourist to non-immigrant. One of the valid reasons is to invest/deposit 3 million baht over there.

http://www.thailawbook.com/i_immig_nonimmigrantvisa_02_english.html

JGA

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: JGA2000 ]

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: JGA2000 ]

Archived