Meaning of

stumpy

LOL, snaky!

actually the conversation of the 2 estimated board memebers makes sense, but in my experience many Thais, even with university education have a lot of troubles with thai transliterated into english! many words can have different meanings and there are just too many ways to transliterate. i also believe that both, Fly and Orandanodes are not native english speaker; those usually transliterate differently.

ruu = roo

ahaan = aharn

chop = chorb

puyai = phoo yai

etc.

You're right of course,

I've never learned to transliterate, so I'm just going for the spelling that sounds best to me. We can carry on in Thai if you like, but Fly would be lost.

Something with this board though. If I want to post something in Thai I have to re-set the Thai encoding every new window. Have tried it a few times and gave up when I forgot to re-set just once.

agree with you, reset encoding for every page is painful. and still you can not read many posts, where boardmembers try to write something in thai.

if we continue the thread in Thai, it would be limited to maybe a handful boardmembers. also for me while i read relatively fast, i am a slow writer as i have to look up many words how to spell correctly.

>>>We can carry on in Thai if you like, but Fly would be lost. <<<

yeps, would be just a collection of attractive looking circles and swings for me ::

never learned how to read and write thai. not entirely my fault though as i have a learning disability, mid to severe ADD, which makes it extremely difficult to sit down and concentrate on learning something.

Hi Samak,

actually the conversation of the 2 estimated board memebers makes sense, but in my experience many Thais, even with university education have a lot of troubles with thai transliterated into english!

Those were the ones I was referring to. :)

IME even a hardcore thai chat-o-manic will have a hard time to be able to make sense out of long sentenses in thai transliterated into english. I have tried that often enough when sitting at a pc without thai fonts.

Funny thing though, is that I actually find it easier to figure out the meaning of long sentenses, as I have much more context to work with when in doubt about a particular word, due to lack of tone referrel/spelling or whatever.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived