Thai stocks. What do you like

Been playing with the idea of the thai stock market, against the advice of everyone.

Here is what I like. Anything from Taksin exept for Shin corp since I believe they may have to take the fall for the liverpool buy and the have a moderate size debt. (2 billionB)

Siam Cement- Books look solid as far as have scene. The growth in these housing developments has got to give them a huge amount of growth in teh next 2 years

CSLoxinfo. With the merger of the Biggest corperate and the Biggest customer companies and the introducation of their new high speed internet about to take off, I see some growth.

Have not looked at the charts that closely yet.

Everyone I talk to is high on Bangkok Bank since their books since good. As far as I am concerned credit it being given out to everyone and that could change.

What do you think and why?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Siam Cement: the Thai Cement industry is heavily depending on exports; Thailand is one of the big exporter of cement. there is at the moment high pressure on the Thai cement industry to cut back those exports due to environmental reasons (look at the quarries in the Saraburi area). the other divisions of Siam Cement (for example Paper) are doing well though.

i would bet that Shin Corp will not take any responsibilities for the Liverpool deal!

i personally would not invest in thai stocks at the moment as you never know how long the current economy upturn will last and i have seen the stock market turmoil back in 1997, when a lot of stocks lost over 90% of their former value.

and because of political convictions i would not put a baht into thaksin's stocks. bad enough that as a consumer it is already nearly impossible not to put money in his coffers, but stocks? - no way.

You could buy a few token shares just so you can turn up at the annual general meeting and raise hell. Then again, probably either that won't be allowed in Thailand or nasty things would happen if it did (maybe involving the perpetrator and some Siam Cement boots? Hey, maybe that's why they're doing so well...)

I never liked any Thai stocks. Way too dificult to research on them. I opted instead to buy Thai mutual funds. Let the fund managers do your due diligence. They are much better informed and have access to relevant information that the average thai investor will not have

thai mutual funds? do you know how much of the profit goes into fees and commissions.

and wasn't there the story about the monkey who throw dart arrows at a list of stocks and the monkeys selection of stocks outperformed the average mutual fund manager!

Archived