Thai stocks. What do you like

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question to ask is who benefits with a current account deficit, slowing economy, and higher interest rates?

Generally safe long run things would probably be large food processors. Everyone has to eat and the large processors serve the Asian region (if not the world). Course don't count your chickens before they are hatched (as CP) would say.

Speaking about chickens, I find it quite interesting that all these farmers are yacking about getting re-imbursed so they can restart their farms.

Since they haven't restarted their farms, the supply is less than normal keeping prices for chicken and eggs relatively high.

Now, let's see. Whose probably benefiting from these prices? Hmmmm, could it be the LARGE chicken farming conglomerates who can siphon cash into restarting their chicken operations? Can I go further? Yes, but it's hitting on the political spectrum.

This though is what you have to do when you are investing in Thailand (or anywhere). Look at what is happening now. Understand WHY it's happening. Combine that with what you know will happen in the near future and invest appropriately.

So, what's going to happen in the near future: oil prices will remain high, interest rates are rising, economy may just slow down a little. General stability isn't as great as it was once perceived. The current account deficit will have to be pulled back. Less spending (buy the company that makes Mama noodles), China's economy isn't growing great guns. Taiwan is looking like a nice morsal. China attempts to eat Taiwan. The Inuits take offense and launch retaliatory moose droppings. China thinks the moose droppings shaped in frisbees are otherworld space aliens and fire off some nuclear rockets. Osama crawls out of the rock he's under and the US nukes the rock. Russia (huh?) literally goes ballistic and the Earth breaks apart.

Good enough excuse for a barfine if you ask me!

Oh, that's one thing I wouldn't short, but would go long on: barfine prices.

<<burp>>

Wonder how much the large chicken farming operations were hurt because of the bird flu (which keeps popping up here and there) - not sure that the currently high prices will offset the loss in export sales.

Doubt the construction boom is going to continue for much longer- prices are getting to what should be unsustainable levels.

Raw materials prices should continue to remain high. Good time to be a steel magnate, methinks!

i wonder about that. bangkok real estate does not seem to have any resemblence to normal rules. last time the bubble burst most prices did not come down to any sort of realistic level. well, other than muang thong thani, but who wants to live in that ghost town???

i mean, even now bangkok has a huge oversupply in any sort of real estate, but prices are just beyond the acceptable.

it's weird here, we have bought agricultural land in the sticks three years ago. by now it has already nearly doubled in worth even though most of the promised development is still only on paper, and the next upgrade of the ownership papers which allows a limited trade on the market is at least five years in the future.

in the large picture this is extremely worrying, especially if you look how overpriced agricultural land generally is in thailand (not the plot we bought, that was compared to the possible income ratio very realistic, and funnily enough the cheapest land with proper papers i have ever heard of in the whole of thailand).

Archived