US Visa for my fiance/wife_Old Hands Please Help!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grabii wrote:

In your original post you wrote what I assumed was a typo, "twice during the tourist visa application process we were asked, "why don't you apply for a non-immigrant visa?" Our reply was "she doesn't want to immigrate" but the fact that they asked the question makes me curious." What you've said is this post makes me wonder - did they really ask you why not apply for a non-immigrant visa, or did they ask you why not apply for an immigrant visa?

Yes indeed, I said the wrong thing. They asked "Why don't you apply for an immigrant visa."

Sorry. It really gets a bit confusing.

Grabii said:

Will your impending marriage make what easier? Getting a B2 visa easier? No, it will likely make getting a B2 visa more difficult. Once in the US a married foreigner is eligible to apply to adjust status to Permanent Resident and stay, and the consular officials are quite aware of this and it is their job to prevent it. Being married is one more red flag indicating that a person who is applying for a non-immigrant visa may actually have immgrant intent.

I want my family to meet my fiance. Many are too old to travel to Thailand, and some will not be around much longer. Is there nothing I can do? What a crazy world.

-

suadum said:

IME your mistake is placing too much emphasis on yourself. Since you are applying for a tourist visa, the Embassy does not care one bit about you or your ties to Thailand. They care about your girlfriend's ties and her returning to Thailand. She needs enough paperwork/proof of that to stand on her own. That's it. Concentrate all your efforts to that end. Take yourself out of the equation.

I believe this advice to be wrong.

Before applying for a tourist visa for my wife I went to the consulate and asked a consular officer about this. His exact words were that in cases such as this they would evaluate my strong ties to Thailand and my wife's strong ties to me.

Like I said in earlier postings in this thread I followed through on this advice. The application we turned in was as if it was me applying for the visa and not her. We gave my lease, pay stubs, a letter from my employer that I was going on vacation and was expected to return 2 weeks later, etc. Hell, I even tossed in my motorcycle registration, copies of UBC and AIS bills, etc. From my wife's side we submitted *only* our marriage papers and our joint bank account info (the account had little in it). She wasn't even working at the time! We received a 1 year multiple entry visa with no interview. This was post-9/11.

KhMarried said:I believe this advice to be wrong.

Before applying for a tourist visa for my wife...

The key here is that you are married. JimmyD is not and that makes all the difference in the world. I.e., "fiancee" is not a legal status. It is meaningless. He has no ties to her and therefore nothing about him will count towards her visa approval in the BCIS eyes.

I stand behind my advice!

I would maybe think about a "Finacee Visa" and just use it as a tourist visa (i.e., not get married in the States and return to Thailand). But I am not sure how that affects the applicant's success rate when applying for another visa (especially if she ends up marrying the guy she went to the States with on a finacee visa) :dunno: and a (very weak) case can be made for fraud.

Cheers,

SD

Hi Saduam,

Thanks for your contributions. The thread is getting a bit large, but I think you night have missed the fact that we are to be married soon.

I think both of you and KhMarried are probably right: you are right concerning our present status, KhMarried (I hope) will be right soon. I also hope that Grabii's thoughts on my imminent marriage's impact on the visa process are wrong.

Dheers,

JimmyD

Nope, I did not miss that fact. But until you are married, you aren't :D! Girlfriend/finacee/live-in/etc. are not acknowledged as a legal relationship status (no matter how long as common-law marriages are not recognized for visa purposes). I know it is frustrating, but really, look at it that way and you will be farther ahead with less pain.

Good luck,

SD

Jimmy,

Sounds like, despite your efforts to prepare a solid application package, the person who interviewed your fiancee is not convinced that you might not going back to the US to stay.

Grabii

JimmyD said:

Grabii wrote:

In your original post you wrote what I assumed was a typo, "twice during the tourist visa application process we were asked, "why don't you apply for a non-immigrant visa?" Our reply was "she doesn't want to immigrate" but the fact that they asked the question makes me curious." What you've said is this post makes me wonder - did they really ask you why not apply for a non-immigrant visa, or did they ask you why not apply for an immigrant visa?

Yes indeed, I said the wrong thing. They asked "Why don't you apply for an immigrant visa."

Sorry. It really gets a bit confusing.

suadum,

I am firmly on the side of KhMarried on this issue.

My experience and that of numerous people I know is that whether the couple is married, engaged, or simply boyfriend-girlfriend, the consular officials will consider the expats circumstances to the benefit of the visa applicant if they are planning a trip to the USA together.

Grabii

suadum said:
KhMarried said:I believe this advice to be wrong.

Before applying for a tourist visa for my wife...

The key here is that you are married. JimmyD is not and that makes all the difference in the world. I.e., "fiancee" is not a legal status. It is meaningless. He has no ties to her and therefore nothing about him will count towards her visa approval in the BCIS eyes.

I stand behind my advice!

I would maybe think about a "Finacee Visa" and just use it as a tourist visa (i.e., not get married in the States and return to Thailand). But I am not sure how that affects the applicant's success rate when applying for another visa (especially if she ends up marrying the guy she went to the States with on a finacee visa) :dunno: and a (very weak) case can be made for fraud.

Cheers,

SD

Archived