Hmmmm, I think I set a new record...

Flying back from Jakarta last night, I decided that I wanted to go meet up with friends at the bar. It was gonna be tight, as the flight did not land until 2300. I also decided to see just how fast I could do the airport-to-town run, so I started the timer on my nifty Heuer Monaco watch (cuz I am Steve McQueen :D, but don't tell anyone I'm not really dead). The metric was from the time my feet touched the jetway to the time I entered Midnite on Soi Cowboy.

But there was a glitch in the plan. I had two bags with a fair amount of expensive electronic test/repair/diagnostic gear in them, so I had to drop them off first at my place on Thonglor. No matter, let's go for the record.

Wow! From exiting the plane, to immigration to getting the bags and getting to the money changer queue (gotta get rid of all that useless rupiah -- that's beer money for tonight) was all of 15 minutes. It pays to have that Royal Orchid Plus Gold Card as I get to sit up front in economy and yer bags really do come off first!

Lots of folks in the baggage claim area, several 747s worth and concequently the taxi queue was full. I did not want to use the limo service because they would likely not take me home and then to the bar :dunno: and I needed them to do this as taxis are hard to find in the back sois at night. Off upstairs to the departures floor.

So I step out the door and a taxi full of Japanese guys pulls up. Perfect. They get out and I put my bags in the trunk whilst some mid-so Thai woman was aking if she could take the cab (thinking that I was getting out). I told her no and that it I getting into the cab, not leaving (in Thai). She nodded. I put my bags into the trunk and notice that she is halfway into the cab. Crikey, she was trying to steal my cab! Or she was stupid. Anyway, I tell her I was there first (Khor thot, pii, pom maa korn) and her husband laughs at her and tells her to get out. I am not sure if she was rude or stupid. I think stupid, as I am generally optimistic that people are mostly good. Oh well -- no harm, no foul.

OK, off to the races. I tell the driver to take the tollway even tho traffic was light. I did not tell him to hurry, but he was driving pretty fast (~140-150 KMH) so that was OK. I had to direct him to the shortcut via Param IX and Petchburi, but he finally figured it out and liked it (did not know about this route before)! We wind through the back sois, down Suk soi 39 from Petchburi which is *always* a mess, but still the fastest way home. Wow, no traffic! We pull up to the moo-baan and honk at the gate. Nothing. Again. More nothing. I hop out and look over the gate. Yahm fast asleep! But he did not lock the gate and I was able to pull it open. Yahm awakens, looking mighty rough -- perhaps a few too many drinkies? We zip through to my place and I tell the driver to wait whilst I drop off the bags.

Back to the taxi and tell him to go to Suk Soi yeep-sahm. He laughs and says "Cowboy?" I tell him yes that I want to meet my friends there since it is Saturday. He laughs and thinks that this is a good idea. So back through the 'green route' we zipped and make it to Cowboy quite quickly. Taxi guy is funny in that every time he gets through an intersection or makes a turn, he (subconsciously?) lets out a a little sigh of relief :D. I notice this and have a good snicker to myself, thinking that the life of a taxi driver must be quite stressful indeed.

OK, out of the taxi (cost B240 cus he restarted the meter at my house) and off to Midnite, dodging the MiB and piss-test van in the middle of the soi. Step inside, click off the stopwatch...total time for all that: 58 minutes!!!!

I shall immediately alert the Guiness Book people.

Cheers,

SD

• 1 month later...

Jing jing. My Heuer Monaco does not lie. I pushed the little timer button as soon as my foot hit the jetway and clicked it off when I walked in the door at Midnite.

Doubt I could do it again. Everything just went perfectly: no queue at immigration, bags first ones on the conveyer, minimal traffic, good driver, timed the lights just right, etc.

Cheers,

SD

Archived