Help. Cashing a foreign Cheque

I have a problem. I have some investments that I would like to take out of Australia at this point in time. But the bastards wont transfer it to my account in Thailand ( I am neither Australian nor have an australian bank account) They said they qill issue a cheque.

Anyone cash a check ( NOTE NOT A BANK CHEQUE) from another country at a thai bank??

Dude, it's going to have to get cleared through the BOT and you're going to get screwed as it's going to take a long long long time.

Just want to clarify that this is a Company check and not a bank cashier's check. It doesn't really matter as Thailand treats overseas cashier's checks just like an overseas company or private check.

Do you have an Australian friend you trust? Can sign the check and have him/her deposit it and then send you the money.

Maybe the Kiwi guy we both know still has an account back home (though he's been here 6-years already). Could he deposit it there?

I used to receive checks here and I would mail them back to the States to get deposited into my bank account no problem.

Sorry to hear the problem :(

<<burp>>

>Anyone cash a check ( NOTE NOT A BANK CHEQUE) from another country at a thai bank??

It's going to take 6 weeks or so.

Is it a substantial amount of money? If it's not, I have an ATM card from Australia in BKK that takes money from Westpac account. Can also move the money over the net into a BKK Bank account but limited to 1500A$ per day.

That matches with my experience. Bangkok Bank specifies it takes exactly 45 days to clear a foreign check. It's probably the legal maximum and every bank is going to float your check the absolute max they can.

Crash good to know. I would have thought a cashier's cheque would be faster. Will just get them to send me a normal cheque. I checked with the bank(siam commercial) and they wanted 45 days also. The exchange rate is on the day you cash it. 250B charge

I was surprised they would take a company cheque.

Now to get my money out of that flat australian market!!

• 2 years later...

Aymore input on the topic?? I've signed several checks in Tailand recently and while they should have been deposited on October 8th and 15th none of them has reached my french account yet. What would be the rule on those, so i don't need to discount local checks too early next time and lose on interests or just run after the money before it's actually needed?

How dare you Sir!

'Honest John' Howard and the worlds longest serving treasurer assure us that the Australian economy is booming. Oh foul and litigatious slanderer. Hang on you've written it, that makes it libel..... even worse!

My seconds will call.

Archived