World Map with Thai naming

gobbledonk

Hi All,

Does anyone have a URL which contains a world map (or any country other than Thailand) with the locations written in Thai ? Everything I seem to find is either a map of Thailand itself or a link to a map which has the word 'Thai' somewhere in the text of the page. I could rant on about the Net being too US-centric, but it wont get me anywhere, so I wont :)

The reason that I ask is that many Thais seem vague on the topic of geography, and I'd be interested to know is such a map does actually exist.

Cheers,

Artie

My daughter has a nice detailed World Atlas in Thai, called innovatively enough "World Atlas 2" (in English). B150 at the Chula Uni bookstore.

But it is 60 pages big, so I am not willing to scan it for you. Too much effort. Sorry.

Cheers,

SD

Hi Atrie,

I would suspect you would need to enter the keywords in Thai, to get a pasa Thai map thrown back at you. If you ask in English, go will only get maps thrown back at you in English.

Not all countries are pronounced in Thai, as they are in English.

Example is the following:

http://www.learningthai.com/countries.html

Should note that this site was put together by Thai students, so it's not like they get zero education of world geography. Teachers here can better answer your question than me, though.

HT

Thanks HT - very informative. I would have expected 'homegrown' pronunciations for Asian countries, but what the hell happened with Germany ? Nothing like either the English pronunciation or 'Deutschland' - even Japan has fared better.

By comparison, the Thai pronunciation of Australia is better than that provided by many of the locals in the hick town I call home. ::

Hi Artie,

That is a good site, by the way. Worth anyone's time to go through it. It's exstensive, and great area's there to learn/hear the language. It's been invaluble to me, in a number of ways, for quite a while now.

HT

Archived