TRANSLITERATIONS ARE IMPOSSIBLE!!!

gawguy

When we switched over to this new interface we lost the ability to use Thai characters. Is that right? Or they became so difficult to use we stopped using them?

I study Thai - that's what I do. Here we have this wonderful pool of people to cast light on so much, but I can't understand a damn thing!

I was just reading:

"song fock song fy"

How would I know what "fock" and "fy" are? They could be spelled 5 different ways in Thai?

Same post"

"Ying jon, Ying jan"

I look up "ying" in my pronounciation / transliteration guide:

it is either "to shoot" or "a female"

"jon" - maybe that's "Poor"

"jan" - not a clue

These expressions look fascinating. I read them in these transliterations, I have NO IDEA what the words are inside them. If they were written in Thai, everything would be fine. Instead of knowledge and education, I am drawing a frustrating blank. It makes me really crazy!

Is there any hope to resolve this here? Should I look to another website for Thai? Help!! What is going on!!??

KS, can you comment too, please.

Gaw Guy

He did something to it ages ago which meant that my Thai characters didn't display automatically. It's all to do with "encoding". If you're using Internet Explorer, try right-clicking a blank area of the page and choose Encoding -> More -> Thai from the little pop-up menus you get. It'll then refresh the page and try to re-interpret the character set as Thai.

It might work.

If it does, then you try to get KS to change the default encoding of the language area to Thai so you don't have to keep right-clicking...

Hi,

"If it does, then you try to get KS to change the default encoding of the language area to Thai so you don't have to keep right-clicking... "

I believe I tried this a few times already, without success.

I'll have another go at it tonight (if I don't forget that is :) ).

Sanuk!

[color:"red"]it is either "to shoot" or "a female"

"jon" - maybe that's "Poor"

"jan" - not a clue

[/color]

Sorry I don't seem to post using the Thai words on this board any more.

ยิ่งจนยิ่งจัน

I posted the [color:"blue"] "Ying jon, Ying jan"

[/color], Ying is spelled yor yuck, sara e (short one), mai aek, and njor njuu, it means "the more". The whole phrase means the more you are poor, the more problem (solved with money) you have. The "jan" is a slang, used only in this phrase and context.

Hope that helps.

Jasmine

Jasmine,

If you can't post Thai characters follow Bibblies advice.

Once on the reply page you must enable ->"view" ->"encoding"->"Thai(windows)" BEFORE writing your reply.

Once the reply is submitted you probably need to repeat the above in order read the Thai characters.

As recommended by KS and others I have been using Mozilla for almost a year. I really like it and I don't get attacked by hackers.

I just went to Edit/Preferences/Languages and added Thai to the list. Then I reloaded this page. Jasmine's and all other Thai characters are still in code.

Am I stuck?

Jasmine I appreciate you spelling out the words letter by letter. Happy they are short words!

GG

Archived