buying land from property developer?

The girlfriend is about to buy a building plot from a developer and we are going to turn up at their office with 250k (mostly hers, fortunately) and then as I understand it go to the land department to get the title deed changed to her name. (the co has confirmed that they can issue the deed).

Two questions, can someone tell me what the name of the deed is, I know there are various types of land doc and I want to make sure she is buying land with the best paperwork and not something that has to be upgraded later.

Secondly, I am assuming that the cash will be handed off at the land department as and when the deed is reissued in her name and not given to the property developer beforehand (which has all kinds of nastiness running around in my mind). They actually seemed okay, not even wanting a deposit up front but you can never tell with Thais when there is serious money floating around...

Up to you where you hand the money over so obviously you want to opt for the land registration office. Show the money if necessary and when all is in order to your satisfaction pay. Be sure there are no loose ends because the land reg office can drag their feet getting anything done in the future.

Maybe something has been forgotten - survey the property. One falang (married to Thai) built a very expensive building only to find out it was on his neighbor's property. His neighbor took him to court and the court decided his neighbor actually owns the building now.

Greg,

You wouldn't buy land in farangland without having a lawyer check out everything for you, would you? And, in my opinion at least, farangland has laws that are more protective of the purchaser and are more consistently applied than in Thailand. And developers in general are a bit more honest in farangland (although people have had some nasty surprises despite laws and lawyers).

Anyway, I don't know how much a Thai lawyer would charge to assist you and your girlfriend with this purchase, but for an investment of 250,000 baht, and more to come when you build on the land, I would consider it to be worthwhile insurance.

Assuming that you can find a lawyer you can trust ...

Grabii

gregchambers said:

The girlfriend is about to buy a building plot from a developer and we are going to turn up at their office with 250k (mostly hers, fortunately) and then as I understand it go to the land department to get the title deed changed to her name. (the co has confirmed that they can issue the deed).

Two questions, can someone tell me what the name of the deed is, I know there are various types of land doc and I want to make sure she is buying land with the best paperwork and not something that has to be upgraded later.

Secondly, I am assuming that the cash will be handed off at the land department as and when the deed is reissued in her name and not given to the property developer beforehand (which has all kinds of nastiness running around in my mind). They actually seemed okay, not even wanting a deposit up front but you can never tell with Thais when there is serious money floating around...

Land transfer is where tax money is collected here so make sure you know who is paying what. There will be a few small paperwork fees due also. You may not need a lawyer but a friend with a degree level education might be advisable if you know someone who could go with you.

And remember the money is all hers.

Actually, she cancelled that deal as the family deemed the plot too expensive - hilariously, the cheap alternatives consisted of a plot in the middle of a rice field (very ancient tree thrown in for free, mind) and another which had a ten metre deep gully running through it, neither of which I was willing to have anything to do with, so it's back to hunting around Nakorn R City and outskirts. Not complaining as it saves me 50k in loose change for the moment and we are staying in a rather nice but cheap apartment. Some family member took us to see a single house for 600k which was described as being IN THE CITY but was actually 20k outside it. Mad as hatters, these Thais.

>>>Not complaining as it saves me 50k in loose change for the moment and we are staying in a rather nice but cheap apartment

Somebody once posted an article I think copied from the Pattaya Mail which talked of the pitfalls of buying property and the advantages of rent/leasing in comparison. The argument for renting instead of buying was certainly a convincing one.

Archived