Any Thais have a medal chance at Olympics ?

OCgringo

With this being the first time katoeys are allowed to compete with women, I would have seriously thought Thai's would have many teriffic chances. But I haven't heard anything about this in the Thai press. Remember the katoey volleyball squad was on course to represent the men's volleyball at the olympics some years back, but then had the rug pulled out from under them by the thai govt to avoid an international media circus over it. Maybe the same now?

But last time around, Thai's found some medals in boxing & women's weight lifting.

samak said:

thai boxers have won a gold medal at the last two olympics. they have a good chance to win again 1-3 medals.

I well remember sitting in KL watching the Olympic boxing in Australia when the Thai guy won. Thought my wife was going crazy she was so excited. Also remember seeing a number of Thais in audience acting pretty happy.

Can't think of his name, but he was given over 40 million baht (1 million USD) for winning the gold medal. I thought I saw something recently that it was all gone now...

TH

From what I've heard, the Thai boxers don't look to be as strong as in years past. They struggled a bit at the qualifying rounds.

As for Somluck, Somruk, or whatever his name is, who knows. I wouldn't count him out though. He seems to be a guy who puts his mind to something and achieves it.

Oh and if recall correctly, he has a singing career to go along with his acting and restaurnteering.

Archived