I-134

billyb6677

hello everybody...I got another question for any of the guys "lucky" enough to go thru the K1 visa process in Bangkok smile.gif" border="0 ..For the I -134 paper,did you have to include with it, along with-- statement from bank and employer,--previous years income tax returns?And if you needed the returns,how many years worth? Any other documents Im missing?? just trying to cover everything...Thanx for ANY help ! BB

Billy,

I posted somewhere, but if you are in the USA, near anything resembling a major city, you may be able to contact a few places that will walk you through the process for next to nothing in cost. The Catholic social service as well as the friends service commitee are 2 that come to mind...good luck! I have used them before, and got excellent service (they are trained by INS, so they know the laws and process)

OH, thanks for the suggestion about social services....I am at the final stages of the application..She is getting paperwork together and i must send her the affidavit of support-- I 134..I am told to check with the embassy about supporting documents and they basically told me more the better..but i was hoping to hear from someone on the board that may have gone thru it and what they submitted with the I 134...thanks for the help smile.gif" border="0 BB

Billy,

The directions for the I-134 just ask for a statement from your employer and from the bank. That is all I sent in 1997 and it worked. I have heard from other boards that some people do send in their tax forms. You will need them for the AOS in a few months for the I-864. My friend is at the same stage as you are and he is not sending in the tax forms. How long did it take from the Approval Date until your fiancee received the Fiancee Visa Packet #3 from the Embassy? For my friend it has been 6 weeks and she still has not received it. Jay

Bill,

The OF-167, Evidence ... To Meet The Public Charge Provisions Of The Law, contained in Packet #3 for the K1 visa application, has some requirements for documentation that are worded a bit differently from the requirements of the I-134 itself.

OF-167 does not specifically require that I-134 be used, although an I-134 form is also included in Packet #3 and I don't know anyone who has attempted to submit an affidavit other than the I-134.

For supporting documentation, the OF-167 specifically requires "two or more of the following items [attached] to the affidavit:

1. Notarized copies of [the sponsors] latest tax return;

2. A statement from [the sponsor's] employer showing salary and length abd permanency or employment;

3. A statement from an officer of a bank regarding [the sponsor's] account ...;

4. Any other evidence adequate to establish financial ability to carry out [the sponsor's] undertaking toward the applicant ...

Read the instructions - all of the instructions - and follow them. Jay successfully used items 2 and 3 from the OF-167 list. I successfully used items 1 and 2.

Jay - In June of 2000 my wife received Packet #3 from the embassy in about 10 days from the date of the Notice of Approval for the I-129f petition. I used the Vermont Service Center, which is known for always cabling the approval to the embassies even when the petitioner does not request and pay for the service. Other Service Centers are not so helpful.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by JAYBLOOM:

Billy,

The directions for the I-134 just ask for a statement from your employer and from the bank. That is all I sent in 1997 and it worked. I have heard from other boards that some people do send in their tax forms. You will need them for the AOS in a few months for the I-864. My friend is at the same stage as you are and he is not sending in the tax forms. How long did it take from the Approval Date until your fiancee received the Fiancee Visa Packet #3 from the Embassy? For my friend it has been 6 weeks and she still has not received it. Jay

If I remember right, sometimes I suffer from CRS. can't remember shit, I only sent a letter from my employer and a bank letter with the affidavid of support. I think when I did the K-1, the tax returns were required only if you were self employed. Maybe that's changed in the last year, I'm not sure. One thing tho, don't forget to get the affidavid notarized before you send it to her. If not, it will be rejected and you'll have to do a new one.

HSTEACH

Teach,

Nothing has changed in the past year. As I said in my post, the instructions for showing ability to provide financial support on the OF-167 are a little different from the instructions on the I-134.

The I-134 requires tax forms only if you are self-employed.

The OF-167 allows you to use tax forms if you wish, along with 1 or more other types of documentation.

I opted to supply tax transcripts because they are available for free from the IRS. I did not use letters from my banks because all of them wanted to charge me $25 or more to provide a letter.

My advice to all is to read the OF-167 instructions carefully and do whatever works out best in one's own situation.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by HSTEACH:

... I think when I did the K-1, the tax returns were required only if you were self employed. Maybe that's changed in the last year, ...

HSTEACH

In lieu of letters from my bank, I sent current statements from my bank/credit unions, which worked. I went through this back in 93, I think a few things have changed since then, but basically, as was posted previously, the more you can show, the better. Of course, we got divorced a few years later, but what the hell!

Just a second thought, does the process change much if you get married over there? In terms of what you have to prove I mean.

Hippie,

Other than not having to prove that you've met in person within the last 2 years, there's basically no difference in what you have to prove.

The difference is in what forms you have to file and how and where they are processed.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

... does the process change much if you get married over there? In terms of what you have to prove I mean.

Archived