Manila visa ok

gregchambers

quote:

Originally posted by greg:

Just got a two month visa from Manila, 300 peso and next day service with no hassle. Plenty of nightlife, too!

But did they give you a double entry? They refused to give me a double telling me that I could get a re-entry in Bangkok. I told them I knew that wasn't true and they still refused.

quote:

Plenty of nightlife, too![/QB]

Really?? I live in Manila, and its sad to see how the situation has deteriorated so much over the last 10 years. This place once equalled Bangkok for nightlife, but I find very little of interest here these days. There are a cluster of bars in the EDSA complex, and a few more in Makati if you don't mind paying 250 Pesos for a girl's drink. I could probably count the places worth going to on the fingers of one hand.

I find it interesting that people look at the bar clampdowns now going on in Bangkok and saying it will all blow over eventually because too much money is involved. That's exactly what they said in Manila back in 1992 when the mayor began his campaign against bars here.

I hope LOS doesn't go the same way as Manila. frown.gif" border="0 I was living there in the days when Mayor Lim statrted his "social order" campaign. Ermita was great, better than Bangkok, lots of sanuk and girls and action and then in a few short months it became a ghost town. Even Rosies has gone, sort of equivalent to shutting down the Nana coffee shop.

The EDSA complex may have the same bar names, even the same owners but it just doesn't have the sights and sounds of Ermita.

A lot of the guys I knew went to Angeles and tehn ended up in Pattaya. I never liked Angeles myself, too much like the Wild Wild West and nothing there at all during the day.

I hope

quote:

Originally posted by themayorofpattaya:

Even Rosies has gone, sort of equivalent to shutting down the Nana coffee shop.

Rosies turned into LA Cafe, which has now expanded into a huge area occupying two floors of two adjacent buildings. Its one of the few places in town really worth going to in my opinion. There are probably a couple of hundred FLs there most nights, and the place is segregated into different rooms with live music/disco, bars, pool, etc. Definitely one of my regular hangouts.

As you say, Angeles is a bit wild, but still hanging in there with a lot of new bars opening. Much the same otherwise, and of course has the advantage over Thailand of cheaper beer. 20 Pesos (17 Baht)a bottle in some places during happy hour.

Archived