Asparagus

Moo_Uan

• 1 month later...
Crash999 said:

Delicious but gives one supremely stinky pee!

Only for some people. Or, maybe for everybody, but they just don't know it!

Many believe that you have to have the genetics to produce the enzyme that converts something (probably the sulfur containing compounds) in asparagus into a stinky product.

A study around 25 years ago showed that, when you pass the urine of non-stinkers under the noses of those who lay claim to stink piss, that the stink pissers perceived stink piss in the urine made by the non-stink-piss-claimants.

It also showed that some scientists have way too much time on their hands.

So it may be that everybody makes stinky pee after eating asparagus, but that only some people have the ability to smell it.

Makes sense- this is an area where people usually self-report. After all, how many times have you gone to the public restroom, smelled some other guy's asparagus pee and then told somebody about it?

The sad part is that I know all this.

::

I don't have my book with me, but believe "mai" in this case, to be spoken with a high tone/short vowel, for 'wood'.

Wood = maai (high tone, long vowel).

"Mai", as in a negative (mai farang = not farang), is spoken with a falling tone.

"Not farang" would usually be "mai chai farang" -- mai (= "not") appearing immediately before a noun feels a bit off.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived