Is Phuket really a safe place?

Is Phuket really safe? Shit I thought it was but when I read this article, im sorta having 2nd thoughts about going now, hmmmmm...

This was taken from the Phuket Gazzette Wednesday Jan 2

K. Ampaipan said that a further six people died from non-traffic-related causes, while another 442 people required treatment during the six-day period as a result of stabbings or shootings, or simply because they had eaten or drunk too much. Of these people, 286 were men while 156 were women.

I mean who would be responsible for the stabbings and shootings? disgruntled locals? Drunken Tourists? shit this has got me a bit worried.

Oh and BTW, I saw on some news documentary about some place in or around Bangkok; its like a rifle/pistol/machine gun range where you go and pay for ammo and you can shoot at the target range to your hearts content what is this place and where is it if anyone knows? Im from Australia and we arent allowed guns here , I just wanna go there and let off a few (hundred thousand) rounds for something to do.

Don't know about the BKK range but in Pattaya there's a pistol range in the basement of Tiffanys. .38 revolvers, 9mm and .45 autos. OK for wannabee Rambos !!!

cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

442 sounds like a crazy number to me!

The only thing that is definitely not safe in Phuket is traffic. I have heard there are around 400 deaths per year. I motorbiked around once and then came back to Phuket town. The town traffic is a nightmare. I was a shaken man by the time I located the bike rental place and turned in the motorbike FOREVER.

I would say the 442, if valid, would include traffic injuries.

And who "requires treatment" because they have eaten too much??

Something is getting lost in the translation.

Go to Phuket. Stay off of motorbikes.

Zane

quote:

Originally posted by Zane May:

442 sounds like a crazy number to me!

I would say the 442, if valid, would include traffic injuries.

Zane

In the year 2000 around 160 people died in motorbike accident and over 10.000 injured.

(numbers from phuket goverment)

I lived in Phuket for over one year and it was terrible becouse the farangs that stayed

shorttime forget to drive on leftside and was

often drunk. The thai drivers was drunk but have no knowledge about driving.

In my time in Phuket I had one accident, driving on a road up in the hill and fell; reson drunk. One time I drived without licens, no helmet, to fast and wrong way in a one-way road. The police stopped me and fined me with two tequilla, one for me and one for him. After I drived away....

Phuket Gazette have in every number the lastest statitics about traffic accidents

and drowning (which takes more life than

motorbikes).

I don't have discrete figures for Phuket but the number of people killed on Thai roads in the period between Dec 20th and 31st was approx. 850. Alchohol related in about 80% of the cases. Enough said.

Phuket is faily safe place to live. The problem lies in motor vehicles and drunks driving under the influence. More people dies or get maimed/hurt from traffic accidents than all others combined. Also, Thailand has many crooks and criminals from all over the world hiding out doing their criminal activities to fund their living.

Keep a low profile and use your common senses and you'll never have any problems.

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: Traveler ]

I had a great time in Phuket withno problems.

I was drunk at least 75% of the time I was awake. Took cabs from hotel and never had a problem...........

Im from NYC so those numbers dont scare me.

I actually felt more nervous once in Ireland in port city of Sligo.....

Overall have not been to nervous in Thailand at all.....

Try walking thru Harlem at night>>>>>>> laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Mike P,

ah so its in Pattaya.oh well I didnt really pay too much attention to the article of where it was..........

........but come on man Im a wanna be gangster not rambo...hes soooo 80's.......you know man, i wanna hold the gun sideways and pop a few caps some paper targets ass...........

Hi Mr.Cunty,

I do not know where you got your numbers from but they have surely been written out of context,these sound more like road accident victims to me, If you want to shoot some rouds off in Phuket you can go to the Phuket shooting range. They have everything from .22mm, .38mm , .45mm , .90mm and even shot guns, but sorry no machine guns, just as well i suppose as the next headlines you will read will be some cunt goes crazy with

a machine gun,

Racha,

Archived