One way ticket to Japan.....OK???

I guess this has to be directed to all of you guys that live in Japan.

Have any of you had any problems entering Japan on a one way ticket?

I will be arriving into Osaka Kix airport on the 20/21 Sept on a one way ticket but my agent in Dublin has suggested that I check up on this 'cos her computer says I need a return ticket to get my visa on arrival.

Any experince on this issue appreciated !!

Thanks,.... and I'll be in Tokyo on the 12 Oct so see u all then.

Uniformguy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not having any experience with Japan, I can't answer, but I want to remind you that you may have some trouble even boarding your flight to Japan. The airline agent will have access to the same info your travel agent does (below, for Irish national), and the airline is responsible for your transportation in the event you are inadmissable.

JAPAN (JP)

Passport required.

Visa not required for a stay of max. 90 days (extension

possible).

Visitor must hold:

- return or onward ticket; and

- all documents required for next destination; and

- proof of sufficient funds to cover duration of stay.

If holding an APEC Business Travel Card:

visa not required provided the back of the card states it

is valid for travel to Japan. Upon arrival a visit pass will

be issued.

Without proper documentation, it is prohibited to:

- undertake renumerative activities; or

- take up employment.

Collective passports issued to groups are not recognized except

in case of immediate family travelling together.

For what it's worth, I have only ever been asked to see an onward ticket once in 17 years of Asia travel. That was a few months ago when entering Indonesia. Of course, YMMV and the rules say you neeed one.

Cheers,

SD

Ditto. I can't remember the last time I've been asked anywhere in Asia (Japan included) ... but it may be a function of your age, nationality, appearance, purpose of visit and travel history (e.g. have you frequently entered and left other countries on time). If you are on business and have a western passport you are low risk ... remember to stand behind the guy from Nigeria for effect.

My recommendation is to make a free online reservation with some airline out of the country and can show immigration that and tell them you were going to purchse the ticket at the airport on the way out. I think worst case is they will make you buy a ticket home.

I have never had a problem getting into Japan, either as a tourist or when working / living there.

The only question that was ever raised was when I picked up a one way NRT-BKK at the airport and they queried whether I had a ticket from BKK-LHR. I just told them that I would purchase one in Bangkok and that was that.

Never, in any country, have I had to show my ticket to clear immigration. Only now in Bangkok they ask for your boarding pass which does not show whether you have a return ticket or not.

uniformguy said:

I guess this has to be directed to all of you guys that live in Japan.

Have any of you had any problems entering Japan on a one way ticket?

Just asked some of my colelagues here.

They were all asked for a return ticket, always.

By airlines, QF especially. They all have 3 year working permits and after consultations with their managers ground staff let them board the plane.

It is that airline gets fined and bears the cost of any passenger without required documents or illegal immigration attempts.

http://heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,8855912%255E1702,00.html

Edit: the link did not work. Here is the article:

Qantas fined $9.5m

QANTAS Airways was slapped with almost $10 million in fines during the past two years for breaching immigration laws.

Citizenship Minister Gary Hardgrave said Qantas received 915 infringements last financial year and 996 infringements in 2001-02, with each breach costing the airline $5000. The 1911 breaches resulted in $9.5 million in fines for Qantas.

Singapore Airlines recorded 323 infringements last year, the American-based United Airlines had 217, down from 437 the previous year, and British Airways copped 154 fines, down from 261.

"The penalty against each airline was $5000 per infringement," Mr Hardgrave said in an answer to a question taken on notice.

He said during the past two financial years there had been no prosecutions launched against airlines by the Immigration Department.

"In 2002-03, 2354 infringement notices were imposed in lieu of prosecution," Mr Hardgrave said.

"In 2001-02, this figure was 3,211."

Mr Hardgrave said most unauthorised air arrivals were removed from Australia within 72 hours.

The Flying Kangaroo last month announced a net profit of $357.8 million for the six months to December 31, 2003.

torrenova said:Only now in Bangkok they ask for your boarding pass which does not show whether you have a return ticket or not.

That is, according to my Immigration Police Major friend, due to catching someone who swapped boarding passes with his friend after passing security to enter the country illegally (i.e., no visa and the airline would not let him board). No idea how he thought he would pass Thai immigration tho', but I have ideas as there ARE holes in the system. I forget in which African aiport he said this saga began.

Cheers,

SD

Archived