I am officially a dad now!

Update: we got my sons Norwegian passport 1 week ago. It is not enough to enable him to leave Viet Nam. To get his bth'certificate - we had to agree that he is Viet citizen. He has dual citizenship now, Viet Nam do not accept 2 citizenships though. We are unsure of legal conseqences. To leave on Norwegian passport, we would have to get an exit visa, which was refused as he is Viet.

My wife is making his Viet passport now.

What I am sure will work, is my son travelling out on Viet passport to Thailand - into Thailand on Norwegian passport and out of there on same. If they ask for exit stamps from Viet Nam, she will show his Viet passport.

I am pretty sure that showing his NOR passport in departure at the airport in Vietnam would have the same effect as a visa, even if he checks out on Viet passport. But I feel the Thailand route is safer. I don't trust communist Viet Nam one bit, they don't follow other countries.

They will stay 1 day in BKK, and my son is too young to hit Patpong anyway - mai mee pen ha!

Cheers!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to you and your family. The Viet staff at the border can only look a bit jealous about your son, but never mind, i had same experience with thai staff, when a thai child leaves LOS with a Visa or a foreign passport for the first time.

Don't worry, the victory is your - for shure

:up:

Well Mentors, its complicated and maybe I explained it poorly. But he won't leave Viet Nam on his NOR passport. He will leave it on the Viet one, the only way as he still has Viet citizenship.

He doesn't need any visa to go to Thailand. Still waiting for the Viet passport. It should go smoothly, but the are no guarentees. Many people get denied passport in Viet Nam. They look at whe whole family before issuing it. Which means if you have a criminal uncle you can be denied passport!

However, my wife had no problems get her passport - so I expect it to go o.k.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations CBK.

I feel with you! As you might remember, my GF comes from Laos. It wasn't a problem for her to get a passport. And also to get a swiss visa wasn't that difficult. It took us 3 months to obtain it. (When I hear how difficult it is to get visas for other countries I am really glad to be swiss. And I hope that we will never join Schengen. Lost hope unfortunately.)

The problem is to get the papers for our marriage. She couldn't obtain the marital status certificate in laos to be able to marry me in Switzerland. Now I try to get a marriage permission from the lao embassy in Germany. And in february I plan to see her in laos and then we will try to obtain the papers which will allow us to marry. The problem is that I have no idea how much time it will take.

Fortunately she has no child. Because in that case they wouldn't allow a marriage with a foreigner. (The hell, why do they forbid women to marry the father of their children?!? )

Your story gives me some courage that my gf and I will also be able to overcome all burocratic obstacles.

I wish you all the best for your future.

Best regards

Archived