I am officially a dad now!

13 months after our son was born (in Viet Nam), we finally managed to get the bth'certificate with me as dad! It has been important to get my son out of Viet Nam.It has been a fight all the way. They would not even consider issuing this before my wife and me were married. Getting a bth'certificate would be a straight forward procedure in most other countries. There was no doubt that I was the father, we offered to take DNA tests etc. Its just Viet laws...

And marriage took time, we had to wait 1 year for a visa for my wife to get to Norway. I don't even dare to think of all the costs involved, trips for wife to Norway. Trips for me to Viet Nam. Keeping 2 households going. The latest fight was to get my wifes 1 yrs permit to stay in Norway. Norway first denied this, as she is spending most of her time in Viet Nam. To avoid proforma marriages, there is a rule that spouses have to live together to get rights for family reunification. After digging up info on other cases where the rulings supported us, they caved in. A previous fight was to get her fiancee visa, we had to use media to get it.

The lesson from this is, do not take rules and regulations for granted abroad. Don't automatically think that an easy procedure in your home country will be that abroad. And immigration is tricky..

Cheers!

(Happy CBK)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lesson from this is, do not take rules and regulations for granted abroad. Don't automatically think that an easy procedure in your home country will be that abroad. And immigration is tricky..

A lesson hard learned by me as well last month !

CBK : congratulations to you & family !

BB

Archived