JW Mariott Questions

Georgeo

Read many posts on Marriott and Landmark and is leaning towards Marriott.

Can any frequent Marriott guest help me with these questions:

- Is the Deluxe room ok? Or is it very small being the cheapest room type

- Is a rate of $113 ok for Deluxe room?

- What kind of internet connection are they offering - "high-speed internet access" can mean any number of things?

Thanks

Georgeo

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can book it through priceline for about $70.

Check out current rates on biddingfortravel.com and either

A: Make a bid, BUT you may have to settle for the other two 5*s in that price bracket (Sheraton and Hyatt? Both VERY good choices but they don't have the location of the JW)

OR

B: Contact their help desk and tell them you want to stay at the JW Marriott. (probably cost you an extra 5-10%)

I haven't tried Marriot or Landmark, but stayed at the Sheraton a few times. OK, but hell of a price for a comfortable room.

Recently, if I want quality and good (and free) net access, I stay at the President Solitaire. Maybe 4* instead of 5*, but new, very well set up, huge Plasma TV, and rooms/suites between 2700 and 3600 (website price, longterm less.

Internet via LAN, usually good, and reasonably fast.

OK bit further down the Soi (Soi 11) but this way, I have more to spend on sanuk, and really just as comfortable as the others.

BKK22. Thanks for clarifying the other hotel name.

Ikkrang: I think the President hotels are more geared for expats or long-term stays.

I stayed with them before (4 days) and found the suite shabby -- curtains didn't work, springs sticking out of the sofa, lighting was inadequate, staff invisible, location a hassle, etc.

The Marriott does tend to slug guests for Net access. I've given up on carrying a laptop and just use an Internet cafe.

mail2web.com is great for when you have to reply from your work address.

"Sorry for my belated reply sir, the CEO dragged me in for a meeting..."

Anything else, yahoo covers.

I recall torrenova and myself discussing the merits of mid-range hotels -- just after he stormed out of the Landmark and jumped a cab to the distant JW Marriott -- and we came to the conclusiuon that for the extra 500-1000 baht you're better of going 5* for $60-80 or completely the other way, Federal hotel and the like for 8-900 baht.

Roppongi >I think the President hotels are more geared for expats or long-term stays.

I stayed with them before (4 days) and found the suite shabby -- curtains didn't work, springs sticking out of the sofa, lighting was inadequate, staff invisible, location a hassle, etc. <

Shabby, inadequate etc, Maybe GP or the other two. Solitaire is brandnew, and quite different, really a lot better than the others. No comparison.

Being able to plug in my laptop means i have always everything on board accessible, and can cut and paste from my HD into and out of my emails. When you use the net a lot, an email cafe is the pits.

Thanks for all the answers,

ikkrang, President Solitaire sound like an interesting alternative.

Which room type would you recommend, I can't seem to find a description of the rooms at their website. (Executive Studio, Premier Suite, Solitaire Suite, Platinum Suite) - the price difference seems low.

Also I assume there are no problems with bringing in a friend ? :o

Thanks

- Georgeo

Georgeo, I have stayed at the JW many times and in my opinion it is one of the best Marriott's in the world. Rooms are all good size as are the bathrooms. Everything spotlessly clean.

The internet access is via their own network and you will find a network cable in your room desk drawer, simply plug it in, switch your laptop on and accept the 600 baht per 24 hour charge and you are away and it is high speed too. Can't remember how fast though, I certainly did not have any problems any time I used it.

Archived