Koh Chang, Koh Kood, Koh Kong Info - please

UAL875

Did a search here and - although there were some decent links - the info I am looking for was not as specific as needed. Basically, my Japanese girlfriend and I will to go to Koh Chang or Koh Kood next month (September) and want to stay at a nice resort. When surfing the web I also stumbled upon a pretty grand looking place in Koh Kong on the Cambodian side of the border which kind of intrigues me a bit. Price is not really an object for this getaway and basically we are looking for a very quiet place to relax for a few days. In fact, upscale would be better for convenience sake. So if you have any suggestions for Koh Chang, Koh Kood or Koh Kong please let me know. Lastly, I am looking for any tips regarding transportation to and from Bangkok because, although my NRT ? BKK flight is ?locked in?, she will probably not know her flight details until, at the earliest, two weeks before Tokyo departure and maybe even as late as the day she leaves (she works for JAL so she?s on a free ride). So I am trying to figure out all my route options, particularly overland since I already know Bangkok Air's flight times to Trat. I already have this URL so please don't send me there. Thanks in advance. :beer:

Spent a few days on Ko Kong, cambo. Really not that much there. Very interesting if you dont mind the dirt roads, cows in the streets and motobikes. The pollution there was hard on the lungs. I really dont think there is much in the was of hotels, many just basic basic guest houses. If you are up for roughing it , have a go.

UAL875 said:

Did a search here and - although there were some decent links - the info I am looking for was not as specific as needed. Basically, my Japanese girlfriend and I will to go to Koh Chang or Koh Kood next month (September) and want to stay at a nice resort. When surfing the web I also stumbled upon a pretty grand looking place in Koh Kong on the Cambodian side of the border which kind of intrigues me a bit. Price is not really an object for this getaway and basically we are looking for a very quiet place to relax for a few days. In fact, upscale would be better for convenience sake. So if you have any suggestions for Koh Chang, Koh Kood or Koh Kong please let me know. Lastly, I am looking for any tips regarding transportation to and from Bangkok because, although my NRT ? BKK flight is ?locked in?, she will probably not know her flight details until, at the earliest, two weeks before Tokyo departure and maybe even as late as the day she leaves (she works for JAL so she?s on a free ride). So I am trying to figure out all my route options, particularly overland since I already know Bangkok Air's flight times to Trat. I already have this URL so please don't send me there. Thanks in advance. :beer:

Koh Chang is still a backpackers paradise. If you have to go there, stick to those most expensive places. No Tesco, no Lotus, almost nothing.

On a rainy day you are confined to your room (which may be what you don't mind).

The largest, White Sand Beach in your link was photographed during the low tide. High tide - almost no beach.

My suggestion would be - Koh Samui, Chaweng Noi beach. Quiet, almost no nite life and good hotels. BKK Air flies there at least 20 times a day.

If you are still with Koh Chang - either BKK Air to Trat then mini van and ferry or rent a car straight from Don Muang and drive to there.

Just a nominal charge for the ferry. Maybe less than 100 Baht for the car and 2 of you.

WYD ? thanks for the insight. The place in Koh Kong that caught my eye was this pricey joint. Is there anything else outside the hotel fences besides cows and motos? For example - wats or temples, waterfalls, Cambodian village life, etc.? Both of us are fit and pretty adventurous.

TTM ? The plan is to stick to the resort type lodgings on Koh Chang or Koh Kut, I was looking for specifics if anyone had stayed at one of the nicer places. Koh Samui ? been there, done that. Want to go somewhere we have not been before, plus Samui is developing too rapidly for my tastes. As far as overland to Trat, I do not want to drive the car myself so I was hoping for suggestions in the way of cost of taxi or private car and availability. Or is the bus the easiest option? The bus leaves from Mo Chit, correct? I have to consider this because Bangkok Air only has 2 flights daily?

• 1 year later...

Archived