Thai girl married to Farang may jeopardize..

..what she own like land and properties.

A friend have been in contact with Thai embassy in Stockholm about getting married to his thai girl. The embassy recommended him not to register the marriage in Thailand becouse the girl could lose things that she own. They told him that the goverment do this to prevent people from only get married only for get a visa.

This sounds like just another of those bar stories but it did come from the embassy. And as we say in Sweden there is no smokes without a fire.... Anyone hear something like this?

Anyone have tips about thinks check before getting married?

As far as I know, this is sort of true. I believe she will not be able to accumulate any more property once she is married to a farang, but she can keep what ever she already has. I am curious as to what happens if a family has only daughters and they all marry falangs, who gets the family estate/property when the parents die?

No problemif it passed on to her from a family death. It's not shared communal property that you can claim against, it's hers pure and simple according to Thai law.

Oppps so they where telling me the truth, then I know some weddings that will not happen.

Over and out (from a expat that feels that Thailand think I am an enemy to the country)

If a Thai girl is married to Farang they can own 400sq Wah of land for private residence, not commerical....

They can also own their own land and the foriegner needs to declare that this is the wifes land only. (i.e you have no right to the land)

Another thing going around the press at the moment is legislation may be passed for foriegners allow to lease land for up to 99 years.. The holder of the deed during the lease will be the Land Authority (or something similar)....I haven't full details of this and it has not been passed yet...

There are many stories going around at the moment and it is best to talk directly with someone in the know in Thailand.

Sanukboot.

Wasn't there a rumour that this law was changed recently?

When I got married my wife changed her name we are both wondering what can be gained from having done so.

quote:

Originally posted by SanukBoot:

If a Thai girl is married to Farang they can own 400sq Wah of land for private residence, not commerical....

They can also own their own land and the foriegner needs to declare that this is the wifes land only. (i.e you have no right to the land)

Another thing going around the press at the moment is legislation may be passed for foriegners allow to lease land for up to 99 years.. The holder of the deed during the lease will be the Land Authority (or something similar)....I haven't full details of this and it has not been passed yet...

There are many stories going around at the moment and it is best to talk directly with someone in the know in Thailand.

Sanukboot.

Steffi,

As far as I am aware you can buy 400sq wah of Land for private residence.....

I also know of people who transferred land to their wifes name from another thai person. In this case the farang would have to sign a declaration that he did not pay for the land.....

There are so many "rumours" out there that even though I believe this to be true I would be triple checking it out before I actually did something.....

Sanukboot.

Archived