Taking TG to Cambodia

Spiff

quote:

Originally posted by Cent:

Definitely try the Angkor Beer. Delicious when cold!

YEah, I don't know what it is, but the beer in Cambodia (and vietnam for that matter) is better than thai Beer.

iuytrede said:

if she only goes to Poipet or Koh Kong (Visatrip) she does not need passport or visa, ID will do, she can stay as long as she wants and must pay a small fee when leaving cambo (depending on length of stay)

Do you know if this applies to the rest of cambodia? I know they let thais come over to gamble with no problem. Can Thai's 'tour' cambodia and pay the same small fee when they leave?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worldwalker,

Have you ever seen these beers sold anywhere in Thailand? I've never seen them myself, and my village is very close to the Cambo border. Would love to be able to buy Angkor beer on a steady basis! Actually the wife liked it too, and she doesn't drink much beer. Haven't run across it in the States yet either, and I've searched for it in my area, even though there are lots of Cambodians here in the Boston area. I wonder if they export the Angkor beer at all? Beer Chang is what I drink most in Thailand, but it doesn't even come close to the Angkor beer in taste and quality. What's the Viet beer called?

Hmmmmmm....might be a good business opportunity here importing beers from around the region (Cambo, Viet, Lao, Burma, China, Indo, Malay, India, etc.) to sell in the Suk area to the tourists who like a better beer, or at least something different from the usual offerings in the bars. (Personally I've come to hate Singha really, foul tasting swill. It's only redeeming quality is the alcohol percentage! :-) Don't like Heinekin at all, Kloster ain't much to brag about but will do if ice cold. Found a Czech beer over here in the states recently called "Rebel" that's pretty tasty....cheap enough too.)

Cent

(Personally I've come to hate Singha really, foul tasting swill. It's only redeeming quality is the alcohol percentage! :-) Don't like Heinekin at all, Kloster ain't much to brag about but will do if ice cold.

yes I must agree with you on this, I also preffer beer chang but you cant always get it at the bars, singha is like cats piss, heinekin not much better but thats what i drink in Thai but it must be ice cold or i will spew. Normaly I can only drink 6 or 8 beers then I have to go to spirits, where as at home I dont touch spirits, but then again at home I have XXXX beer.

quote:

Originally posted by Spiff:

Hi!

On my next trip I'm planing to take my Thaigirlfriend with me to Cambodia. Does she need a passport, Visa etc? Anything else I should think about when I travel with a TG?

Thanks!

Why in the hell would you want to to take a TG, to Cambodia.

Have you been there before, you do not say.

I have a TG, the only place I would only take a lady is to the north to Angkor Wat, enter from North Thailand.

Cheers FIG...

Thank you for all the information Cent!! The main reason for going to Cambodia is to see Angkor Wat so I would very much like to have some more information about places to stay, eat, etc. I'm thinking about traveling in the end of march but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Figjam, the reason for bringing the girl, is simply because she wants to go and I like to spend time with her. I told her that she probably would be borred in Cambodia, but one of her(our) friends has been there and she loved it. So now my gf want to go. As I said before I do get the point about not needing to take a girl to Cambodia, but I like the girl and she is very fun to be with. Specially once we get away from the bars. It's funny to see how the girls change if you take them away from the bar for a couple of days. Allso once they realice that I don't like the "up to you" thing. I just hate that! Are you hungry? "Up to you". Do you wanna go out? "Up to you". What do you like to do? "Up to you" etc.. I just can't live with that, but then again...that's the ting a lot of men love with the girls..

When it comes to the beer..I have never tasted Cambodian beer so I'm looking foreward to it. When I'm just drinking one or two bottles I can drink almost anything. Singha, Chang, Heineken, etc..But If I'm drinking all night I'll stick to Chang or Carlsberg so if the Cambodian beer is better than Chang then It's probably gonna be a nice trip.. I'm getting thirsty now.... laugh.gif" border="0

Thanks to all and keep the information coming!!

Sorry..forgot one thing. No Figjam, I haven't been in Cambodia before. That's why I want as much information as possible regarding Cambodia. Now, I do find a lot of information on this board and other places regarding Cambodia, but not so much about taking a thaigirl there. I just want to make sure that everything is ok with passport, visa, etc..so that we don't waste to much time sorting things out in Bkk.

Ok..Cheers!

It can't be that difficult, Spiff. They are neighbouring countries, after all. And they're desperate for tourist money..

I saw a few Thai tourists in Angkor Wat - I "hitched" a ride behind two of them that had a Thai-speaking guide explaining all the wall carvings.

I'm pretty sure that you get a one-month visa, not a 14-day one, btw.

Tiger Beer's widely available in Cambodia. I'd also recommend the Cambodia rice whiskey over "lao khaaw" wink.gif" border="0

Spiff,

I just PM-ed you the info I have. Get back to me if you use the hotel and I'll give you some more directions to the restaurant and a beer bar/restaurant area I found just a few blocks down the oad one night. One question, how's your lady's English? Does she speak Khmer? I'll try to write some more later if I can on my trip there and give some more info on the area and what I experienced there. I've been meaning to do this for months now.

Cent

p.s. Do try the Angkor beer.

To All,

For those who would want a good guide to the Angkor Wat ruins and are going sometime in the near future here's the contact info for Mr. Vandy. It should still be good as I just went this past July.

Mr. Chak Vandy

Garden House

#0129, Group 02

Wat Bo Village

Salakamroek Commune

Siem Reap Province

Cambodia

Tel.#: (855) 12-950-742

Fax: (855) 63-380-025

Fax: (855) 63-963-476

Email: garden@camintel.com

He's a good guide. Very knowledgeable, and not pushing any extras and acting like a tout all the time like others do. I had a driver already that was supplied by the hotel I was staying at. Mr. Vandy is just the guide. Don't think he drives himself. If I remember right he cost USD 20 for the day. Feel free to tell others his contact info.

The restaurant I was talking about is in the Bopha Angkor Hotel, called the Bopha Angkor Restaurant oddly enough I believe, right near the Bridge Wat Bo on the road leading to Angkor Wat as you head North, just before the Airport Street and the Grand Hotel. Almost directly across the street from Wat Preah Prom Rath which is by the Sphar Chas Old Market.

FYI entrance fees for the Angkor Wat complex was USD 20 for the day if my memory serves me right. I could be wrong. Someone correct me if so. They did have multiple day passes tha defrayed the daily expense, and if you arrive after a certain time in the afternoon, around 4 I think it was said, you can get in free. Sunset was said to be a great time for photo ops of the main temples. The rosy colored sunset light makes the temples turn a pinkish hue. Beware of the pesky little kids trying to sell you everything under the sun for "1 dollah, 2 dollah mistah". Cute kids, but very aggressive. I paid one of the older kids, named Jim, two bucks USD after a while to keep the others away they got to be such a pain in the neck. Across from the entrance to the walkway over the bridge leading to the main building are many stalls where you can buy a cold Angkor beer and relax after you finish for the day. Good place to people watch and check out the puying tourists. Many cute Japanese lasses about.

Cent

p.s. Wear a hat and bring a couple of big bottles of water along. It gets hot, and you'll be walking and climbing around quite a lot. There are no stalls inside the complex to buy stuff if you need it. You can get film at some of the stalls out front if you need it, and batteries too.

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Cent ]

Archived