Taking TG to Cambodia

Spiff

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my next trip I'm planing to take my Thaigirlfriend with me to Cambodia. Does she need a passport, Visa etc? Anything else I should think about when I travel with a TG?

Well Mr Spiff there is one thing you should think about! and thats why would you take sand to a beach?????????? tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

Actually this is something I have considered myself due to most of the local nightime freelancers spending most of the day on their back down at street 63 or other top locals. I can't help but wonder whether a TG would be largely unimpressed with being taken to PP and definately not consider it a sanuk place to be. I also wonder how the Cambo locals would react to a TG? Any thoughts Guys?

Spiff,

I only hope that Bakkabon wasn't serious about 'taking sand to the beach'. I think alot of us when there, take a gf on a side trip somewhere. I did take sand to the beach, Bangkok bg to Pattaya. This was her first trip there and we had a great time. She heard about all the beer bars, but could not believe how many and that they were all lined up next to each other on the Soi like they are.

I'm with you fast_fred, this might be a fun trip with a gf from Thailand. I also wait for some good replies here.

Definitely a case of sand to the beach. the best analogy is taking a handfull of sand to a hundred mile long beach. Maybe bring a Khmer speaking girl if you really have to bring one, at least she'll feel partly at home.

Thank you guys! Specially Anonymouse and Iuytrede!

I do get your point Bakkabon but I'm not going to Cambodia for the sanuk scene. At least not this time. wink.gif" border="0 I just like to stay with a girl for a time if she is funny and able to communicate. I really think that it's a great way to learn about thai-culture and to learn to speak thai.

I guess we all have different tastes and missions in life...Anyway..If anyone else know something about taking a Tg to Cambodia I would be very happy to hear what you have to say.

Spiff,

Yes, she needs her passort. No she doesn't need a visa, and neither do you. You get your visa at the airport when arriving.....I think it cost 20 USD. I think it's a 14 day visa, but I could be wrong on that, might be longer. I just don't remember exactly. Bring USD for the visa and departure taxes and such. Otherwise mostly everyone accepted Thai baht when I was there last July with my wife on our honeymoon. We went to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat for a few days. The wife loved it and was very interested in the history and the ruins and temple complexes. Actually there are a couple Buddhist shrines in the Angkor Wat ruins that are pretty famous amongst the Thai Buddhists. My wife speaks Thai and Lao, but extremely little Khmer. So it was nice to have us both not knowing what the heck was being said. Gave her a look from my perspective when everyone in the village speaks Lao and Thai and I don't know much of what's being said. Opened her eyes a bit. We loved it there, and had a great time. Most people spoke some English. Once you get used to the accents they are easily understood with some work on your part. For some reason everything the Cambos try to sell you at the temples and ruins, especially the kids and touts, costs 1 or 2 USD. Bargain and haggle! Definitely try the Angkor Beer. Delicious when cold! And the fresh baked French bread was the best I've ever had! Even better then the bread I had in France!! :-)

Have fun and enjoy your trip

Cent

p.s. The locals treated my Thai wife with great respect. Actually most thought she was Cambodian and always tried to speak to her in Khmer, which was quite funny most times, as she'd ask me what they were saying. They were surprised when she didn't speak Khmer. She was treated very well and enjoyed going there. She still talks about returning there on our anniversary to finish seeing the outer temples and ruins. If you go to Angkor let me know and I'll give you the name and contact info for a nice small hotel we stayed at there. And the name of a great little Cambo/French restaurant we ate at one night near the hotel. Great food and atmosphere, romantic and delicious with friendly staff. A nice place to linger over drinks and chat after a fine meal. And not expensive really at all. Owned by a French guy who was a charming host. I also have the contact info for a good guide for seeing Angkor who speaks good, though accented, English. He worked for the UN after the war, and used to be a teacher. Very nice gent, and very knowlegeable on the history and religion. An intelligent guy who treated my wife and myself very well. Let me know if you decide to go to Angkor and I'll e-mail you the contact info.

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: Cent ]

Archived