Taking TG to Cambodia

Spiff

quote:

Originally posted by worldwalker:

[QB]YEah, I don't know what it is, but the beer in Cambodia (and vietnam for that matter) is better than thai Beer.

QB]

Guys,

The best beer I've ever drank is French beer. Me thinks the French brought great baking and brewing to SE Asia along with their colonialism.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi again folks! Sorry for the late reply. I'm working my fingers to the bones here saving up money for my next trip.

Than you very much Cent!!!! laugh.gif" border="0 Both for the information on the board and the PM. I will go to the places you recomended and I'll write a litte report later. I might be in contact with you again later, if I need any more information.

I talked to my GF today and she is exited about going to Cambodia. I forgott to ask if she speaks any Khmer so I still don't know. Anyway, I'm sure we'll get by. Truth is, I'm not worried about the local people. I'm more worried about how backpackers and other "farangs" treat us. Specially my gf. I have seen it myself ceveral times how bad people treat Thaigirls traveling with a farang. Like they doesn't exist at all. I have never experienced anything bad myself but I guess going to Angkor Wat is a place where I will meet a lot of backpackers and other people who allways think they know how everything should be and what's good and bad....Nevermind..I can deal with that.. Back to the issue.. laugh.gif" border="0 My girlfriends english is good but still far from exelent, and so is my Thai, but we don't have any problems communicating. I'm sure we'll get by. Allso, she is learning really fast. I wouldn't be surprised if she speaks better english then me when I see her next time!?! I just don't get it! I whish my thai where improving that fast!

Okey..I'm really looking foreward to the trip. Thanks to everyone!! and if someone has something more they think I should know about...Please tell me!

at the border areas to thailand you'll find many people who speak exceptional thai, i got around there with thai better than english.

and to the other guys who think traveling to cambodia with a girl from thailand is bringing sand to the beach: is it so difficult to understand when someone is not interested to have sex in cheap brothels?

I would agree with Fly on the Thai abilities but not just in the border areas also inland. I've used Thai in various places though Cambodia, many people have spent time in Thai refuggee camps and speak fluent Thai,many people also study Thai because they see the trade that goes on between the countries and see an opening for Thai language skills.

Your Thai friend will need a passport--contrary to Worldwalker's statement--even to Poipet. This rule was instituted relatively recently--in the last two or 3 months. Not sure about passport on arrival at Siem Reap airport or PP airport. Best for your friend to check with the Cambodian consulate in BKK and/or an airline or travel agency.

I've seen farang with Thai gf's in Cambo and they didn't seem to get any special attention if their public behavior and dress conformed to cultural norms.

Have a good trip. I'm sure you'll both enjoy the experience !

quote:

Originally posted by flyonzewall:

and to the other guys who think traveling to cambodia with a girl from thailand is bringing sand to the beach: is it so difficult to understand when someone is not interested to have sex in cheap brothels?

It's a suitable analogy. There's more than sand at the beach.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone everywhere needs a passport to travel extensively internationally, but as a citizen of a fellow ASEAN member country, Thais don't need visas for Cambodia. I believe most, if not all, Westerners can get their visa on arrival; that might be preferable, because although I have not heard of problems in RECENT years, a long time ago Cambodian Immigration wasn't accepting the visas issued by their embassy in Bangkok, forcing the traveler to buy ANOTHER visa or be sent back!

Myself, I absolutely LOVE Singha beer and have ever since the '80's. I can't get enough of the stuff. laugh.gif" border="0

I hate Carlsberg, Heinekin (sp.?), and all of the other so-called "premium" beers. BUT, the BEST beer that I ever did drink was Trappist monk beer from Belgium. Drank it IN Belgium and in the U.S., also (including in Hawaii, ultramann laugh.gif" border="0 ).

I've traveled throughout a fair part of this region, and in Nepal, but not admittedly in Cambodia, with my Thai wife, and we never had any problems whatsoever, from the locals or from farangs.

Hey Spiff,

Have a great time the Khmer people are great....you can fly into Siem Reap from Bangkok, or go to Phenom Penh and then take the jet boat or fly up-I would do the boat one way at least if PP is on your itinerary its long but kind of neat.....In Siem Reap, I stayed a couple times at the Golden Angkor, I think $20/nite also attached thai restaurant-excellant food. Rent Motorbikes in Siem Reap to do proper justice to the Angkor temples-you can spend days there...and getting around on motorbikes is pretty easy in Siem Reap as well, nice small town-though sadly that is rapidly changing-man the changes from '96, my first trip to last summer were staggering!!!! Have a blast laugh.gif" border="0

Archived