Nice Job for Native English Speaker w/degree

Khun_Kong

My employer will be looking to hire a teacher of English soon. The position cannot be advertised at this time. Close to BTS, pay around 50,000 baht/month, with bennies, all paperwork, work permit, etc. Best candidates will have some experience/teaching certificate, of course. Start September sometime, I believe.

Send a PM to me, if interested. Include some details about yourself.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Include some details about yourself.

Well, I'm an Aries, I like long moonlit walks on the beach and ...

Sorry, couldnt resist ! 50,000 baht a month certainly seems enticing given the 30,000 baht figure which is often thrown around for English teaching gigs - hope it all goes well.

Khun Kong,

Thanks for posting the lead.

I think the following additional information would be helpful to prospective candidates without revealing too much about your company, could you possibly answer them:

1) Time. Is this 5-days a week or 6-days a week? Is this 9-5 or odd hours with early morning classes and/or evening classes?

2) Is this the first time the Company is hiring an English teacher? If so, will he/she be expected to create materials?

Thanks!

<<burp>>

gummigut said:

Khun Kong,

Thanks for posting the lead.

I think the following additional information would be helpful to prospective candidates without revealing too much about your company, could you possibly answer them:

1) Time. Is this 5-days a week or 6-days a week? Is this 9-5 or odd hours with early morning classes and/or evening classes?

2) Is this the first time the Company is hiring an English teacher? If so, will he/she be expected to create materials?

Thanks!

<<burp>>

1. M-F, 0730-1600. 20 face to face hours/week. Permanent, full-time position. No students in October (2 weeks paid holiday), week off at Christmas, no students March-April (4 weeks paid holiday), paid for 12 months, 1 month bonus after 1 year, air ticket to home country, etc.

It's a nice position. 50K/month seems to be the minimum.

2. This is a VERY established "company" in Bangkok (the oldest in Thailand, as a matter of fact). Most materials already exist, the texts used are excellent, curricula have been written. Good facilities. students a bit above average (breeding ground for many of Thailands current and former politicos).

This is a nice position for a professional.

What are educated people doing working for these wages.

Maybe if the person already has investments and a huge

nest egg for retirement it would be a good gig. What are these people going to do when they are in their 40's or 50's.

I feel sorry for educated people who waste a education on such wages.

Years ago I started at a low end school at a low pay. One day I was talking with the senior teacher who had been working in thailand for 10 years. At the end of the conversation he asked me for 500B till payday. So after 10 years, he was living in a 3000B apt. on victory momument, owned nothing other than old clothes and cds and did not have enough money to eat. It was at that point I gave myself 4 months to find a good job or get the hell out of thailand.

Sure working for 35,000 (average starting wage) for a few months to a year would be fine. But I think you are playing with your entire future if you dont get out of here before you become unemployable

wcv56 said:

What are educated people doing working for these wages.

Maybe if the person already has investments and a huge

nest egg for retirement it would be a good gig. What are these people going to do when they are in their 40's or 50's.

I feel sorry for educated people who waste a education on such wages.

Here's one example, with the nest egg/retirements thing. And, it IS good!:

I am in my 50s.

The apartment that I own outright and rent out in the States covers the mortgage on my house in the States, which I also rent out. The house alone produces a nice income, such that I don't have to work, if I live in Thailand.

50 K is certainly enough to survive on in BKK for many. Especially if it's gravy. Especially if it's more than 50K ;) (I've got 25 years teaching experience).

The job insures 1-year non-imm B visas. Renewable. Paid for by employer.

180 paid days off/year. 104 on weekends and another 11-12 weeks during the year.

In not too long, social security and 2 very small pensions will kick in.

Always have my house to return to, if I want. It's being paid for by someone else. :)

As you said, helps to have the extras in place if one wants to do this long time.

That's one plan. For a younger person, it can be a good starting gig on a teaching career. Exciting and educational for them, too.. No need for sympathy or thoughts of "waste".

wcv56: Actually sounds like a pretty-OK deal as far as English teaching goes.

This could be a good base job. Not saying it could be done, but if you do a good job, there's only 20 hours of face time, can possibly pick up 8 or so hours of moonlighting a week at 1k a pop (either cutting out a little early if your bosses are cool and you do a good job, and/or after work/weekend). 70k to 80k a month in total. Assuming the moonlighting money as savings, that's not too bad.

Wouldn't think this would be a good job for a retired person though, who wants to work a lot of hours and get up at 6am when you are retired?

<<burp>>

The wage is a long term problem if you are working to support yourself, and live a decent life. If you are on easy street and its just entertainment then why get up at 7AM :drunk:

I think the interesting point brought up by this thread is about the young people in Thailand. If you're a strapping young lad living the easy life in Thailand on 30-50K a month for a few years really could be a bad long-term decision.No savings and no way home.

I personally thing the prospect of returning or changing your life is always hanging out there. If you commit to a low-rent teaching career in Thailand young i.e. without houses, apartments, and mortgages [btw, sounds like a decent set up] you really can't leave.

Imagine trying to save up the cash to go home? I know a Brit who did this and decided to return to London. He worked his ass-off moonlighting for more than a year to get enough to get a ticket back to UK and put cash down on a flat, etcetera. He did not have anyone to front him :doah: Tough situation for him.

I'm sure you can find loads of the Khao San lot or older 'gravy' teachers as you said for this kind of position. I think these are the majority in the country. Maybe this is alright.. but I tend to think its a problem.

My reasoning comes from the fact Hong Kong recently did a first compulsory national test of their native English teachers. Not good. A majority went tits up on the grammar and basics :grinyes:

I say all of this knowing Thai people gush at the thought of other 30K a month in LOS.

Best,

the_numbers

Archived