Nice Job for Native English Speaker w/degree

Khun_Kong

I wish I could get a teaching job for 50,000 baht. I have 25 years experience with uni undergrads, grads and adults. It is rare I've ever got over 40 K a month from just teaching, even adding in the extra classes at 1,000 to 1,500 an hour.

Furthermore, the damned university recently gave me the boot because I turned 60. So who do they replace me with? Some clowns with no teacher training and maybe a year or a year and a half experience.

Thailand is hell on teachers. :-(

It is even crappier for the Thais. I know a Thai with an MA who has been working at his school for 5 years. He gets 10,000 baht a month and lives in an "apartment" half the size of my bedroom. He told me he is quitting teaching at the end of next term.

p.s. What really pisses me off is when some mickey mouse private uni demands to see the original copies of my degrees, which are safely kept at home in the States. Ummm, do they look where I have been working? Would they like to see the books I worked on with a member of the royal family. Would they like to see my recommendations? Do they really think KSR backpacker fakes have been here since the 1970s and have the documents to back it up? That they are fluent in Thai and have translated books from Thai to English?

I'm am getting seriously angry at some of the stupidity I encounter in Thailand. :-(

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Flashermac said:What really pisses me off is when some mickey mouse private uni demands to see the original copies of my degrees, which are safely kept at home in the States... Do they really think KSR backpacker fakes have been here since the 1970s and have the documents to back it up?

Presumably the easy availability of faked degree certificates on Khao San Road is precisely why they're keen to have a shufty at the real McCoy before they hire. :rolleyes:

I agree and sympathise with your comments, though. :beer: It's not altogether so different in Japan, chief. :(

Don't let the bastards grind you down. :up:

jack :help:

I've yet to see a very convincing fake degree from KSR. A friend got one and it looked like shite. (He has a real degree from the UK, but doesn't have it with him!)

Same with the fake press passes, student IDs, CIA Id cards etc. (Who the fork would want to carry a CIA ID card anyway??? The real folks don't.)

• 1 month later...

I eventually bit the bullet and brought my original degrees and teaching certificates with me back from the states.

Sometimes you have to give in to appease silly requests though i give them only copies and never let the originals leave my sight.

If they insist that they must have or keep the originals, then our principles and way of thinking differ and that place is not for me.....

Cardinalblue

• 7 months later...

Having taught English in Japan for at least 12 years, I can say that the figure given of 3 million yen per year is very inaccurate.

My last 6 years in Japan I made 7 million yen per year for teaching less than 15 hours per week and I had nearly 5 months paid vacation a year.

I had some friends who worked as much as they could and made over 10 million yen per year or over 100K dollars per year. I know of Japanese professors who make 15 million yen per year if you count their research money for teaching 2 to 4 hours a week 7 months a year.

Pay for teachers in Thailand is very low. There are better options than working a job here. Why not build condos for 1 million and sell them for 1.5 million. Or buy a condo at 20K a month and rent it for 30k a month. Buy 5 condos and rent them and you make 50K without a job.

I make over 100K a month in Thailand without a job.

Working full time in a low wage country is not your best option.

But work is also not always about money. Some people want something to do or a social outlet. Not working for many years can be boring for many.

You are better off to own a business in Thailand than work I think. I know of many foreign businessmen who make over 200K baht a month in Thailand. This is certainly better than being a teacher at 50K per month.

Skater said:

I make over 100K a month in Thailand without a job.

baht, yen or usd?

I know of many foreign businessmen who make over 200K baht a month in Thailand. This is certainly better than being a teacher at 50K per month.

maybe you could share a bit with the boardmembers, what exactly they do? it sounds very easy! don't work fulltime, be a businessman! i guess many of those businessmen have worked very hard as well at least during start up of their biz and during changes in the environment and conditions!

"I must be in the wrong business, I make more than 50k, less than 200 k, but i am working bloody hard hours to do it and managing a growing number of people."

I can just agree with U ND... U must be in the wrong business...

Skater,

I need some light about that one:

"Or buy a condo at 20K a month and rent it for 30k a month. Buy 5 condos and rent them and you make 50K without a job"

How does a foreigner without a job can buy a house on credit in Thailand?

Cheers!

Random

• 3 weeks later...

You can't very easily rent (not buy) a condo for Bt20k per month and re-rent it for Bt30k per month. Anyone who says you can is living in cloud cookoo land.

There are a few angles on sub letting which offer a return and a risk but not as simple as the idea put forward above.

Archived