Weapons

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by chocolat steve:

Does any one know if its illegal to carry a knife or gun on your person in the kingdom?

Also, if not, is it possible to get a permit?

Just curious, I know what you all are probably thinking! lol.

In the Pattaya Mail this week it mentioned two off duty policemen were arrested for carrying concealed guns. Which I think is similar to the States??

I fancied a brass knuckle duster myself but wouldn't be able to bring it back to the UK because penalties are harsh for things like that. frown.gif" border="0

[ February 24, 2002: Message edited by: Ultraviolet ]

All--

As I understand the rules regarding "weapons".. to IMPORT a weapon you need prior permission and permit from both the Royal Thai Customs and Royal Thai Police. To legally carry a wepon on your person a permit is reuired and (in the case of foreigner) may be obtained from the the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.. As I know it, these permits are only granted to selected members of the diplomatic corps and for cause. I have not heard of non-diplomatic persons obtaning a permit (not to say that there are none)....

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

CSteve,

Just curious..why do you ask? Do you feel you need to carry a weapon when in the LOS? Have you ever felt threatened or had any problems there?

It's a good question Steve, and one that should be addressed, even if just to let everyone here know what the laws are regarding this stuff. So no-one gets their ass in trouble with the law there.

I don't know what the laws are regarding this myself.

Saying that I also have never felt the need to carry a weapon there. If I did feel I needed this protection I doubt I'd be there. The only problem I've had in all my time there was with other farangs, which ended in a drunken brawl in a disco. And only because the friend I was with was a stupid fucking idiot who got himself involved in someone else's fight and was getting his head stomped in, so I helped him out of the jam he was in, and probably saved his stupid ass from a trip to the hospital.

You don't need a gun or knife in Thailand Steve. You need to use your head, stay away from dicey situations, use your head....instead of your mouth, be polite, be aware of your surroundings, and use your feet to take you away from something happening that looks to be a problem. Beat feet.

A gun or a knife will cause you more problems than they will solve.

Cent

p.s. And if you don't think I know from what I speak...well...I've had guns pulled and pointed at me a few times, I've had knives pulled on me and used to threaten me before. I've been robbed at knifepoint and gunpoint. I'm from a tough neighborhood, known plenty of shady characters, hung in some nasty bars, been involved in stupid shit,......all when I was much younger and dumber of course. :-) And every time I used my brain, quick tongue, and instincts, and came away unscathed....and un-robbed.

Never had these problems in Thailand of course. All here at home they were.

The only protection you need in Thailand Steve is a good supply of condoms.

Cent,

I always procure a weapon asap when I land. As you say, using your head is the best policy. I never needed a weapon or even came close but we have a saying over here better to be judged by 12 than carried by six. I was amazed at the quality and low prices on Thai blades. (seemed to be high quality jap steel and great thai workmanship) I left it in LOS but I wish I had simply put it in my checked bag and then delcared it but there wasn't much room left after I packed the TG and I couldn't very well declare her. wink.gif" border="0

Smitty,

In some places in the US it is REQUIRED that off duty police officers carry when in their jurisiction (sp?)

Rusty,

Good quality machetes are available in the states and most other countries. Try an Army/Navy surplus store to find a quality yet cheaper one. Just buy one at home. I can't imagine the hassle it would be now-a-days after 9/11 to bring a machete back in your luggage, even just in your checked luggage. Doubt now you even could.

Cent

Here is an interesting article from last Decembers Bangkok Post:

"Stun guns not legal but popular

SELF-DEFENCE: Calls to ease the law

SUPHAPHAN PLENGMANEEPUN, SONGLAK KRONGBUN and PATTARAPON TIPKANOK

Women walking alone at night in poorly-lit areas may feel more secure if they are carrying a stun gun or a pepper spray. But they may be breaking the law as stun guns require a licence and, like the sprays, are legally defined as weapons.

Even so, for those willing to take the risk, stun guns can be bought for as little as 950 baht each ``under-the-table'' on asking certain small stores or market places, such as the Klongthom flea market _ if the seller is sure you are not an undercover policeman.

A seller of electronic devices said that most were imported from the United States, Canada, China and Russia. Their quality and prices varied, with some units incorporating a whistle or a torch.

Most stun guns are powered by two small batteries that can generate about 10,000 volts, enough to stun or even temporarily partially paralyse the target. Some units made in the US produce 50,000 to 100,000 volts, enough to render a person unconscious or kill someone subjected to repeated attacks.

A seller of stun guns in a central city shop said that high-powered stun guns had become very popular in Switzerland because of an increase in rapes.

On the local front, pepper sprays had gained in popularity with prices starting at 750 baht.

The seller said it was difficult to estimate the size of the market for the two products as they were not openly available. However, it would be at least 200 million baht a year, based on the seller's estimate of the value of products imported by large companies and by travellers.

Most buyers were women including teenagers. Few men bought the products for their own use, saying the units were for girlfriends or wives.

The pepper spray had become popular because the importers claimed that the device had a range of three metres and that the spray would affect the skin and eyes for an hour or more. One type of spray, a model that could be used only once with no refill, also coloured the skin for five to seven days, making it easier for police to trace the assailants.

The seller said that pepper sprays were readily available to the public and for use by the police.

However, buyers of both stun guns and sprays could be cheated as they could not test the products before purchase.

One seller recalled that a customer had tested a spray on the floor of his shop. The smell spread rapidly and forced him to close for some hours.

Another seller said that he was more afraid of the police. ``Normally, the police will not investigate the selling of these products as they are probably not considered all that dangerous. But if they do make an investigation, we need to be very careful. Perhaps we won't sell anything that day,'' he said, conceding the practice is illegal.

The webmaster of police.go.th of the Royal Police Office said that the Interior Ministry had defined stun guns, or electronic batons, and pepper sprays as weapons because there were cases where criminals had used the guns to stun and rob taxi drivers.

By law, anyone carrying a weapon openly or without an appropriate reason is subject to a fine of up to 100 baht and the court can order confiscation of the weapon.

The webmaster said there were pros and cons on the issue. If the products were readily available, women could use them in self-defence. However, as criminals could obtain them, the law had to define them as weapons subject to controls.

An importer said the law had actually encouraged the development of a black market where criminals could buy the products while making it harder for the public to do so.

``So good people will not be able to buy these products while the criminals can always buy them. It's high time that the law is amended to allow only women, with proper licences, to buy these products so that our business becomes legal,'' he said.

A source said that if women concealed the devices properly, the police would normally look the other way.

Another source said that instead women could pay about 40,000 baht for a palm-sized gun. Although the Interior Ministry would not issue a licence for carrying guns in Bangkok, a buyer could apply for a licence out of town if he or she had been registered as living in a province for at least six months."

Note the 100 baht fine used as a deterrent. smile.gif" border="0

Archived