Weapons

Steve

Honestly, I've never felt the need to carry a weapon in LOS. In fact I feel a sort of freedom being there that I don't have here in the states.

Like you Cent, I've seen my fair share of violence, and must admit having to carry a weapon at some point during my teenage years but if you knew what it was like in the section of Brooklyn where I was and later on in Philadelphia, you'd carry one too (lol).

Sort of like the first day you're in prison, the first thing you do is try to get a weapon. Not to hurt anyone but because of self defense. Everyone else has one.

I was just curious. That's all, promise! Just wanted to compare what LOS was to the states. In Pattaya the thought of anything like that doesn't enter my mind. My brain doesn't have any room left other than women. (lol).

However, I must admit if I spent a lot of time (several months) in Bangkok, I would probably think about a knife, only because I'm a city boy and urban areas bring out the cautious, suspicious side of me.

Thinking back, I find it ironic. People say how safe it is here in Bangkok.

I'd like to say that yes, it is a relatively safe city, but do keep your awareness of the surroundings.

My short time here, I've seen as much violence as my twenty some odd years in New York City.

Seen broken beer bottle fights and regular fights. I've been in several arguments which luckily did not lead to fights. All involving farangs (except one drunk'n thai guy). Even saw one piece of thai on thai violence (Thai in a car waited for a certain guy to go buy, raced out and intentionally swiped the car into the motorcycle and zoomed off) where I was almost hit by a car.

I sometimes carry a knife for the utility. Especially for eating fruit off the street, but as a weapon? Do what db_sed_aloha says. Don't buy the weapon, be the weapon. Without the benefit of surprise, a pocket knife doesn't gain you much. Especially versus an educated opponent.

<<burp>>

quote:

Originally posted by rusty:

What about taking weapons out of Los?I need a good quality machete?I have seen them openly on sale in Pattaya.

Rusty

Coming from England you should be well aware that any blade found by customs on arrival in the UK will be confiscated - especially a machete!!! You may even land yourself straight into a cell. Anyone in Thailand will happily sell you one if you are dumb enough to buy one and leaving the country with it in your checked bag may or may not be a problem. Walking through customs in the UK with it though would be a very big mistake to make. shocked.gif" border="0

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: maokaang ]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived