dvd copies

I quite fancy the Streamium myself. And it's not very expensive, see link

I don't know if there is anything that exactly fits your bill. For the ulitmate machine you probably need to build it yourself in a barebone box.

Meanwhile....

A wireless router, like the Netgear WGT634U - 108 Mbps Wireless Media Router will handle all the file transfers/disk storage. Add to that wireless multimedia links, like the Philips Streamium SL300i and SL400i and top it off with a Philips Pronto Remote Control and you're probably not far away from what you want ;) You'll also need to find a way to capture TV on a hard drive..there are many solutions out there, for example Pinnacle PCTV or any hard drive DVD player.

The biggest downside to building your own machine is not knowing if it will give you a high quality HT experience, IMO.

The Philips stuff looks kind of cool but what is really annoying is that there is content control. I really don't want a manufacturer to tell me what streams I can tune into. I really want to be able to tune into shoutcast - the range of radio stations they feature is amazing. They even have a dedicated morlam channel. ::

I guess I just have to wait a little longer-the wireless revolution is just beginning!

As I understand it, there is really no problem to stream anything you like with Philips. The only problem is that you probably won't be able to do it straight with your remote. You probably have to start shoutcast on your 'puter & then let it stream to your receiver.

Anyone correct me, if I'm wrong!? ::

Yes, I'm aware of that...but I find it ambigous. If you can stream any other content from your hard drive, why wouldn't you be able to stream, for example, Shoutcast?

I have no hands-on experience though, so it may well be that they try & are able to tie you to their specific service....

• 1 month later...

Archived