dvd copies

I was just enquiring whether you can buy divx or xvid pirate movies in Bangkok,like at Panthip Plaza? I do know you can buy pirate dvds and vcds.

All input would help

Thanks

what are "divx or xvid?" If you mean "sexy movie" or "XXX DVD" then yes, but it may take you a few minutes to find them. Last time, I had to go up to the roof top car park, and look through the guys supply. Fun to do! And buying direct saved a bit as well. All were packaged with a color wrapper, and had the logos etc burned on the disk, so should customs see them, you could claim you thought that was the Asian packaging... :) usually not a problem, they didn't even give my "copied" software a second look...

XXX DVDs are also available on Sukhumvit, sometimes you have to ask...but keep an eye out for signs saying they have them...

Old Hippie said:

what are "divx or xvid?" If you mean "sexy movie" or "XXX DVD" then yes, but it may take you a few minutes to find them. Last time, I had to go up to the roof top car park, and look through the guys supply. Fun to do! And buying direct saved a bit as well. All were packaged with a color wrapper, and had the logos etc burned on the disk, so should customs see them, you could claim you thought that was the Asian packaging... :) usually not a problem, they didn't even give my "copied" software a second look...

XXX DVDs are also available on Sukhumvit, sometimes you have to ask...but keep an eye out for signs saying they have them...

This thread should be in Technology.

There are many places where you can read bout DIVX, here is short excerpt from one of them:

DIVX (Digital Video Express) was an attempt by Circuit City and the entertainment law firm Ziffren, Brittenham, Branca and Fischer to create an alternative to video rental in the United States

DIVX was a sort-of rental format variation on the DVD player in which customer would buy a DIVX discs at a low cost and then would be able to freely view the disc for up to 48 hours from after its initial viewing. After this period, the disc could be viewed by paying a continuation fee, typically $3.25. DIVX discs could only be played on special DIVX/DVD combo players that needed to be connected to a phone line. DIVX Viewers had to set up an account that additional viewing fees could be charged to. The player would call an account server over the phone line to charge for viewing fees similar to the way DirectTV and Dish Network satellite systems handle pay-per-view. Viewers who wanted unlimited viewing of a particular disc could pay to convert the disc to "Silver" status for a special fee. The physical disc was not altered in any way. The viewer's account kept track of the status of each disc. The Silver disc could be kept for future viewing, resold, given away, or discarded.

For more details, see:

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/XviD

Uhm...hehm...I try to download & burn movies in DivX or Xvid as much as it is possible (and probably get them at the same sources as the Panthip guys, i.e. various peer-2-peer systems).

With Divx/Xvid there are some quality loss from DVD but mostly not noticeable. The major "selling" point is that you save a lot of space on your hard disks and/or DVD discs. With these formats you can get up to about 4-5 movies on just one DVD disc. Modern DVD players recognize DivX/Xvid.

There are new times now, guys. Just check out these DVD players:

KISS Wireless DivX & DVD Players

Philips DVP632 DivX & DVD Player

Philips Streamium Wireless Home Cinema (incl DivX capability)

In any case, to answer the original question: I don't know if there are many pirated DivX/Xvid movies on the Thai market currently....but there sure will be in the future.

Thanks for all replies on this matter.

Looks like they dont sell them as yet.

As for all that is not sure what a divx or xvid movie is,its a format quality sort of crossed between a vcd and dvd. Just makes clearer viewing than a vcd

The Philips Streamium looks kinda nice! The only thing that worries me is that they mention being able to connect to certain online services like musicmatch radio and yahoo! photos. WTF? Does that mean that mean that philips decides which services I can use? All these multimedia devices seem to have one thing in common and that is that they have all limited functionality compared to a PC.

I am holding out for the real multimedia computers/centers that allow me to do everything:

- use harddisk and dvd-player to record tv-programs;

- play any kind of sound file on my HT;

- play all streaming media, video, sound and internet radio;

- being able to send files to and from other PC's in my network;

- read the internet on my TV;

- 1 handsome remote with all functionality to handle these operations;

- do all this and be quiet. I don't want no blazing fans to disturb me.

especially number 1 and 3 I have never seen combined in any apparatus. If you happen to know manufacturers who are building multimedia PCs like these, give me a link. I think the market is ready now for a machine like this.

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived