Huge Bomb Rocks Australian Embassy In Jakarta

Torneyboy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just heard here on the wire in OZ, that their still is a few embassy staff that have not been accounted for.

Also, heard that the latest incident will bring both countries closer together.....what a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Typical commentfrom a politician.

The Bali bombing and the previous bombing in Jakarta at the JW Marriot have note helped in assisting with relations...It killed tourism in Bali and even foreign nationals are pulling out of Jakarta.

Even many of our business associates are pulling out of Jakarta and some of the locals are in the process of relocating abroad.

People over hear from Perth WA have only recently started to go back to Bali and from all reports I have had it is that the prices are at an upward spiral and the businesses etc etc are struggling big time.

Dont think any form of PR exercise will help Indonesia in the short term....the damage has already been done.

Take care all

Arkutha

:) :) :)

arkutha said:

Just heard here on the wire in OZ, that their still is a few embassy staff that have not been accounted for.

Also, heard that the latest incident will bring both countries closer together.....what a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Typical commentfrom a politician.

The Bali bombing and the previous bombing in Jakarta at the JW Marriot have note helped in assisting with relations...It killed tourism in Bali and even foreign nationals are pulling out of Jakarta.

Even many of our business associates are pulling out of Jakarta and some of the locals are in the process of relocating abroad.

People over hear from Perth WA have only recently started to go back to Bali and from all reports I have had it is that the prices are at an upward spiral and the businesses etc etc are struggling big time.

Dont think any form of PR exercise will help Indonesia in the short term....the damage has already been done.

Take care all

Arkutha

:) :) :)

Closer together....ha ha..

Our federal police are on the way there to take charge of the investigation.....read between the lines

Latest...11 dead 160 injured ::

The Indonesion's deserve what they have and deserve what they get...doh...

OK, lets not get into Indo-bashing : we all know that this could *still* happen on the streets of Bangkok, Manila, or Melbourne. If you've been to Jakarta in the last 2 years, you'll know that they have guys with machineguns checking cars in the driveway of every hotel and Western-owned building in the CBD. They are not standing around waiting for the next bomb to go off ! The Indo cop who led the Bali investigation, and his colleagues who worked on the Marriott bombings, did a superb job, but he was ultimately denied by the vagaries of the law itself - sound familiar ?

As a terrorist act, this was a failure : on one of the busiest streets in Jakarta, they did minimal damage to the Embassy itself and didnt kill their (presumably) intended targets - the Australians in the Embassy. They did, however, further distance the local population from their cause.

My heart goes out to the families of the Indonesians who lost their lives, and they'll rapidly be forgotten in the media frenzy which follows. Lets try to keep this in the realm of 'human tragedy', and out of the 'I'll bet I could solve the problem !' realm of fantasy. I'd like to see Megawati take a harder line, but I can sympathise with the task she faces : those who feel that they are ready to administer a population of over 200 million people, please take one step forward.

Guest lazyphil

My neighbour 6 doors up is from the EastEnd of London and remembers V Rockets and the blitz and remembers seeing her street and streets around totally raised to the ground, its amazing listening to her accounts, she tells me with a frankness that leaves my blood running cold. Time all this nonsense ended!

Archived