Blast, Mushroom Cloud Reported in N. Korea

Khun_Kong

Big blast reported in North Korea

A big explosion rocked a northern province of North Korea near the border with China last week, South Korea's Yonhap news agency has reported.

The blast is said to have happened last Thursday, as North Korea marked the 56th anniversary of its founding.

Yonhap quoted a diplomatic source in Seoul as saying a large mushroom cloud was spotted in Yanggang province.

South Korea's Unification Minister has reportedly played down the possibility that it was a nuclear weapons test.

Diplomatic officials in Washington are also quoted as saying the nature of the blast is unclear.

The diplomatic source in Seoul said the mushroom cloud, with a radius of up to four kms (2.5 miles), was spotted in Yanggang province's Kimhyungjik county.

The area is mountainous and thinly-populated, and home to a major military base, according to reports.

A crater caused by the blast could be seen from a satellite, an unnamed official in Beijing was quoted by Yonhap as saying.

'Rumours'

Unification Minister Chung Dong-young - Seoul's top negotiator with North Korea - said South Korea was trying to get confirmation of the explosion and its effects.

"We have received an unsubstantiated report on traces of an explosion in North Korea," he told reporters.

A spokesman for South Korea's President Roh Moo-hyun told Reuters news agency it "appears to be on the level of rumours at this point".

The BBC's Charles Scanlon in Seoul says the nervousness follows recent reports from Washington warning North Korea could be preparing a nuclear test.

North Korea claims to have developed what it calls a nuclear deterrent, and threatened several times to test a device.

It is little surprise that the news should come late and leak out piecemeal from North Korea, one of the world's most secretive societies, says our correspondent.

In April, an explosion at a railway station in North Korea killed more than 150 people - but Pyongyang only admitted the incident three days later.

BBC

Not sure about the blast you're referring to. I'm in the States - will return home on Oct. 9.

This morning I did hear that the North Koreans announced that they do intend to detonate a nuclear device ... even if undrground, it will be 'picked up' by our spy satellite system.

They do have the necessary ingrediants. Iran ( :shhh: ) will 'probably' be the next target in the war on terrorism.

... then North Korea will be dealt with, but a different game plan is being finalized.

:up:

Too bad it wasn't that ding dong "Kim Jerk Off" blowing himself up by lighting a Cuban Cigar while having too much Kim Chee Breath and singing the Nat'l Anthum:

" I just met a girl from Korea, she put her hand on my knee whilst her breath smelled like Kim Chee, Oh I just me a girl from Korea."

I, at my age, would gladly return to active duty if we were to move in a clean the wanker out of his spot. He can room with Sadam, who will be the wife?

Archived