Historical perspective on Thailand

TO: Forum Moderator

RE: History Lesson

Was wondering if you could provide a brief historical overview of LOS ?

With a brief summary on the politics/problems the country faces today ?

The recent bombing of the PMs jet on the runway comes to mind ... who? why?

Consensus forecast on future political/economic stability ?

Just a thought to get this forum going ... Thanks !!

A brief historical overwiev of LOS? Good grief, how much time have you got? How much time have ANY OF US got?

Anyhow, the PM's jet wasn't bombed, it was an accidental explosion having to do with the air-con system or something like that. Even Boeing admit to that.

The econonic outlook? Forget it, as long as Thaksin and his Thai Lork Thai (Thais Are Cheating Thais) Party is in power.

The main problem? Corruption, Corruption, Coruption. But don't we love it? After all, prostitution is ILLEGAL in Thailand. Ooops. laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0crazy.gif" border="0

Yes, thanks to both of you for replying ...

HOWEVER ... I asking the moderator to consider posting something BRIEF ... 3-4 short paragraphs only for NEWBIES ...

Or perhaps to post some links ...

I know some of this information already (tho i hadn't read about the airplane thing) ...

So how 'bout it Mr. Moderator ??

As I recall, the problem with the exploding aircraft was related to heat buildup in one of the aircon or gen units hooked to the plane. Apparently (if my memory is correct), if the ambient temperature and the additional heat from the direct sunlight reaches a certain point and the machinery is left on for too long, some sort of chemical reaction occurs and "blooey". I'm puzzled, though, as to why this hasn't happened before.

Re: Exploding Boeings

Was there ever a final answer on this one or was the AC theory the latest in the long string of speculations? Would be an amazing coincidence that this is such a rare event and the PM just so happened to be taking the same flight.

Cheers!

PS- Samuigeorge, looks like I managed to sign up a moment ahead of you. tongue.gif" border="0

@ Crash 999

it seems it was a fuel tank explosion, similar to TWA 800

having the ac run on the ground helped

europe.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/southeast/04/11/thailand.plane.explosion/

the FAA has since called for a safer design of fuel tanks (not so close to sources of heat), not only in Boeing aircraft

The FAA is calling for a review of all old wiring..It was the wiring that was the problem as the plane was 20 years old and the insulation was falling off..The empty middle fuel tank allowed fuel that was vaporized by the heat to build up and exposed wiring set off a spark and...Thaksin called BOMB!

There is a review on now for how to inspect and replace old wiring in out of the way places.

BRIEF HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE ON THAILAND:

Mehkong river discovered

Mehkong whiskey discovered

1st bar opens

first girl barfined

first man pays first bargirl money because mother sick

first barfight; first bartender flees scene

first buffalo struck by lightning

King Ramkamhang invents the Thai and possibly the Wild Alaskan alphabet

Thais, Laotians, Cambodians steal one another's gamelan orchestras and court dancers

Constantine Phaulkon rules Siam under King Narai until Thai nobles rebel and cut off his head. Phaulkon's Japanese wife retaliates by popularizing sickly sweet Portuguese deserts in Siam which Thais eat today thinking they are Thai sweets

First bargirl transforms into barboy

Ayuthya destroyed despite heroism of long-horned water buffalo at Bangrajan

Flashermak born

Sir John Bowring opens Siam to trade with King Mongkut; trade seems to favor Siam so Westerners retaliate by portraying King Mongkut as wacky noble savage in musical, The King and I.

Bernard Trink born

First bus driver flees scene of accident

first Patpong bar opens

first Soi Cowboy bar opens

Go Go dancing discovered

The Girls of Thailand book published

Flashermak teaches first class

Mechai gives out first condom to bargirl

Nana Plaza opens

Nanaplaza.com opens

First Miss Condom Contest held at Nanaplaza

First Nanapong.com Go Go Contest at Rififi