10 entertainment venues black-listed

elef

10 entertainment venues black-listed

Published on Sep 22, 2004

Ten Bangkok entertainment venues in the Makkasan area and on Kasetnawamin Road have been blacklisted for breaking almost every socialorder law, said Deputy Interior Minister Pracha Maleenont yesterday.

?There are large entertainment venues breaking the law by allowing drugs on the premises, admitting people under the age of 18 and flouting enforced closing times,? he said.

The ministry?s entertainmentvenue zoning laws took effect on September 16.

Pracha said it would take time for officials to inform all venues before strictly enforcing the law, adding that his socialorder team frequently checked venues to ensure they were in compliance.

iTV?s ?Hot News?? programme on September 20 aired video footage taken in Krung Thon entertainment venue, which showed patrons engaging in a number of illegal activities, including gambling on slot machines and watching explicit sex shows. Police raided the venue and seized a quantity of gambling paraphernalia.

The venue was subsequently closed for 30 days and local police were summoned to explain why action was not taken sooner.

Pracha said police had acted before, making many arrests, but the venue owner continued to break the law because operating slot machines is only punishable by a fine and not permanent closure of the venue.

He added that if the iTV footage were used as evidence, he would have to consult the ministry?s legal team because the venue owner could claim the footage was fabricated or obtained without permission.

Pracha said police continually raided entertainment venues, but admitted they returned emptyhanded on many occasions.

?I?m not sure if my team is inefficient, or if warnings of the raids is being leaked, because wherever we go we come back emptyhanded,? he said.

The Nation

Kinda makes all the conjecture about Farang P4P places, seem a little vague. This is concrete action in a Thai area. I guess the fear for non residents such as me who only make it to LOS every year or two, is that it will start in Farang areas.

Cheers

Coss

elef said:

He added that if the iTV footage were used as evidence, he would have to consult the ministry?s legal team because the venue owner could claim the footage was fabricated or obtained without permission.

I always have to laugh at this bit. You can imagine the conversation.

Excuse me, we are an undercover investigative news programme and we would like to show the many illegal activities here. Do you mind?

But it does add further proof to those who say this clampdown is not just aimed at us.

Archived