Price this job

bibblies

A farang acquaintance of mine is setting up a business to offer her fellow Australians special 'Thailand cosmetic surgery combined with a bit of a holiday' trips. She wants a Thai woman to take care of things at the Thai end and asked me for recommendations and ideas of salary level. The way it's described to me, it's basically micromanaging/babysitting older Australian women while they're here, liasing with her, them and the hospitals, taking them around sites, holding their hands, solving any problems that aruse and being at beck and call generally for 20-30 women a month. The job could be all over the place - Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai - and have no fixed office at first (although the Thai would have to manage all the bills, etc, I guess - take care of everything that occurs at the Thai end).

I know the proposed owner and she's a hard taskmaster. So, the question is, for this, what the hell would you say the salary level should be?!:dunno:

Yep, she's still thinking things through, isn't she?! Phuket or Bangkok? Personally, I'd also question how much of a holiday a cosmetic surgery patient could actually have after the procedure. If it's something like a face-lift or laser-resurfacing, I doubt they could go out in the sun or even stay out in the heat! Maybe it's an easy job after all?:dunno:

Of course, there's always cosmetic dentristry too...

First think I thought too, definately more than one person, maybe 1 per person if it's medical related.

I'd guess your after a high level english speaker with marketing type skills,

I'd be going for at least 20K, a lot in Thaland. I pay my high level marketing guy 45k, but he's proved to be wirth it.

A capable girl maybe 20k I guess. Given there is n industry standard (Apart from a nurse) I think you could almost name a price

DOG

I'd be going for at least 20K, a lot in Thaland

I agree ND - not only is the candidate being asked to represent our entrepreneurial Aussie on the ground in the LOS, but there is a significant 'duty of care' issue here.

This trend to 'surgical holidays' was publicised on an episode of 'Sixty Minutes' here in Oz recently, and the idea is that the patient does his/her sightseeing prior to the surgery, then flies home as soon as possible afterwards. The report claimed that, even with the cost of the airfare, the surgery comes in at half the cost of our local healthcare professionals, but I'd want to be convinced of the reputation of a hospital before signing on the dotted line. The spectre of complications arising on the flight home dont do much for my confidence, either, but I know little of cosmetic surgery.

Getting back to the original request, it would appear that Ms Entrepreneur really needs to do her homework *on the ground* in Thailand, and watch out for the minefield ::

Look, honestly speaking, your friend ain't going about this the right way and is definitely not thinking long term. Recommendation is either not to help her or go the whole hog.

Why I don't think she's doing this right and/or is not serious? Because her business will be built upon reputation and she's delegating the after sales to someone else and isn't even looking into the details. If she was serious about this, she would be contacting the hospitals directly. Ranking them in terms of service and what they provide. Then she would be contacting serviced apartments within short distances of the hospitals for recuperation for those that don't want to stay in the hospital.

If she's really looking at 20-30 per month. She's looking for a project manager on the ground. That person isn't just a salaried person and would have to be incentivized via revenues in some way or else they'll be sucking blood money out of the venture any way they can. Like steering them to accomodations, restaurants, and vendors where they take a huge %. It ain't just touts!

I can't help but think that your friend thought that this might be a good idea and is having everyone else do the work and nothing will come of it.

You really want my take on the cost?

For those dealing directly with the clients and actings as liason and tour guide, we're talking AT LEAST 30k. Your going to want someone with very good English skills, people skills, and familiarity with medicine. Last thing you want is a client dying on you!!! I know nurses (all of two) who get 25k to 30k (not at public hospitals!!! Don't know what they make).

Your going to need a project manager who can manage people, schedules, and has the savvy to negotiate with Hospitals, accomodations, and tour people. Gahhh, 65K+ and a % of the take.

Quite frankly, your friend sounds incredibly lazy. If she's reputable, she could probably be the sales arm/conduit for hospitals here if she just called them up!!! I'm sure they good ones are already hooked into this...

Sorry about the tone. I'm a bit negative at the moment, can't ya tell ;)

<<burp>>

[color:"red"] For those dealing directly with the clients and actings as liason and tour guide, we're talking AT LEAST 30k. Your going to want someone with very good English skills, people skills, and familiarity with medicine. Last thing you want is a client dying on you!!! I know nurses (all of two) who get 25k to 30k (not at public hospitals!!! Don't know what they make).

[/color]

I agree with you, actually, methinks higher. Thinking about all the works, especially trying to babysitting the women on cosmetic surgery! ::

I was begged to teach English the last time I visited Thailand. When I came out with the price, only 2 out of 6 kids took my price and I was cheap, just a little bit over 200 Baht/hour.

Jasmine

Archived