Working Visa?

I plan to relocate from US to Thailand in three weeks. Today I was offered a job by a Thai company, but I am their first farang. Neither they nor I have any idea how to arrange for a work visa. Can anyone offer any advice? Could the steps be as simple as the company sending me a letter stating their intention to hire me and my passing that letter on to the local Thai consulate?

If so, how much should be spelled out in the letter. And would the resulting visa preclude the need to make visa runs?

Thanks for any guidance you might offer.

The part about getting the Non Immigrant type B visa is very important. You cannot get a work permit with a 30 day stamp or tourist visa. If you come in on tourist visa, you will have to leave and get type B outside country. It will be more difficult to get in nearby country (More paperwork required) Get the 1 year multi entry Type B in LA. Call counsulate in LA and ask what they require for type B visa.

Have your employer hire a firm to arrange work permit once you arrive in Thailand.

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: THAIHOME ]

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: THAIHOME ]

Other useful items:

a. Get your passport renewed if it is close to expiring. I would even get a new one so that you have the full 10 years.

b. Bring your college/university transcripts.

c. Bring your Birth certificate / Certified copy.

d. Bring your Marriage certificate / Certified copy. Bring your Divorce decree (if applicable).

e. SSN card (Social Security Number).

f. Get a US drivers license and an international drivers license.

g. Check with your bank to make sure your ATM card is on the PLUS or CIRRUS network. Open accounts in a bank that allows you to access via a secure website for transferring, bill paying, etc...

h. Inform your credit card companies that you are moving to Thailand.

i. Health Insurance (for 3-6 months) while you get situated here. Use one like Blue Cross / Blue Shield and you should have less problems if you need it.

j. Is your Will updated ??? In a safe place ???

k. Safe Deposit box. Do you have one ? Who has the key ?

l. A list of all your credit cards, their numbers, atm cards, department store accounts, etc... Put it all on a list, put the PIN numbers, or contact details and seal it in your safe place.

m. Locks, keys, combinations. List them down somewhere because you will forget the combinations and who has the keys to the lock when you go back for a visit.

The letter will help you get a Non Immigrant Visa, you need this to apply for the work permit. After arrival, the company gets you a one year extenstion on your Visa, get them to get a re-entry permit at the same time. At the same time they apply for the work Permit, i'm sorry i don't know the procedure for the work permit, my company did that for me. I had to supply them with some photo's and attend the district employment office with the person dealing with the application at the time that the work permit was granted.

Archived