Language Quiz

Zaad

Dear linguistics,

Most members agree that speaking Thai makes living or travelling in LOS easier and more fun. OK, reason enough for me to make a quiz (test) to educate those who face dufficulties regarding Thai language. :) Me included.

What follows is a piece of text in Thai, don't worry it's really not that difficult, and what I want you to do is to fill in the 15 missing words I'll give you in the correct blank spaces in the text in order to complete it. Plus a few multiple choice questions for additional points.

Believe me, if you only have basic knowledge, you'll still understand more than 50% of it if you concentrate hard enough.

It's a simple email (from Basic Thai studybook) which sounds very much like the one of a Thai girl to an overseas John in the US. GOODLUCK!

sawutdee kha john thee khit theung

sawng deuan phahn pai laew (--- A ---) john glup pai america tawn nee pen yung-ngai bahng noi wung wah john sabaai dee (--- B ---) noi

(--- C ---) sabaai dee meuan gun tae rooseuk ngow lae khit theung john talawt thee prathet america khong now laew chai mai thee nee fon yung tok talawt thanon (--- D ---) saai nahm thooam noi daai rup jotmaai sawng (--- E ---) jahk john laew khaw thot kha thee tawp chah noy pen phraw wah mai mee welah kheean tawp noi mai daai leum john luri tae tawng pai sawp thee mahah withajahlai laai wun tawng

(--- F ---) tooa sawp dooai tawn nee noi sawp set laew kha thook yahng reeap roy khit wah khong sawp phahn daai deuan nah noi ja pai

(--- G ---) ngahn meuarai john ja mah prathet thai eek khrang (--- H ---) mai nahn ja theung pee mai john ja (--- I ---) ngahn eek mai khrang nah noi ja phah john pai theeau phahk neua pai jungwut chiang raai lae jungwut (--- J ---) thee nahsonjai thah john yahk pai theeau thale eek (--- K ---) pai phuket na kha noi yahk pai thee eun mahk (--- L ---) john khuri bawk wah ja phah noi pai theeau america dooai noi rooseuk dee jai mahk (--- M ---) khuri nung khreuang bin luri ja pen khrang raek tae noi gaw ja durn thahng pai eng daai wung wah john ja kheean tawp mah rew rew lae yah leum na kha noi tawngkahn num hawm chanel yah leum fahk mah dooai (--- N ---) soot thaai nee khaw hai john mee khwahmsook mahk mahk talawt (--- O ---)

ruk lae khit theung

noi

Match the letters in the text with the following words (numbers). Example: A4, B9, C15, .....

1. treeam

2. chabap

3. eek

4. sooan

5. samuk

6. guah

7. tangtae

8. kha

9. laai

10. eun

11. yah

12. mai

13. gaw

14. pai

15. yoot

Bonuspoints:

1. How many consonants are there in the Thai language?

A- 42

B- 44

C- 46

D- 48

2. And how many vowels?

A- 21

B- 22

C- 23

D- 24

3. And how many double and triple vowels?

A- 10

B- 11

C- 12

D- 13

4. And how many tone marks?

A- 2

B- 3

C- 4

D- 5

5. And how many special marks?

A- 1

B- 2

C- 3

D- 4

There's a max. of 20 points to be earned.

Cheers!

:beer:

PM me the answers if you're willing to take the quiz, thanks

KS,

Text -> 10 correct (10 points)

Bonuspoints -> 3 correct (3 points)

BTW I checked your answers directly with the correct ones. It *may* be possible that you used a word in the 'wrong' blank space in the text *but* which is grammatically correct, so I need to check that. My mistake.

SO I did...yes...text -> 13 correct :) (+ 3 bonus)

Complaining to the teacher obviously worked this time.

Standings

1. Khunsanuk ----------- 16 points

:beer:

Hang on a minute....where is the time bell here???? :cussing:

I know i am a bit slow ...give us "" Team Thai" a few more hours :D

We have three Thai students in my home whom are at odds with your english translations ::

The whole thing is now in the hands of The North Sydney College of English Studies for Foreign Students"...no joke Zaad...my guy took it in to show the teacher.....says is now a project!!!!.

Get the beer back from Ks..ok?

May be a bit of fun Zaad...was a hoot tonight..a crowd around my PC...what is it etc etc...your text is way different to the one i used in my thai course :D

Hold off for a day or two ::

A project??? ::

I wrote it literally from a book (didn't change a word), so please all complaints to the authors, not me :)

Yes, you did say you would give it a try but I thought you gave up since this was nearly a week ago.

I'll state a deadline next time as I used to do.

I doubt I'll make another quiz btw, not enough interest.

Archived