Staying more than your legal 30 days

Polo,

There is a charge of 200 Baht for each day you overstay. In my expierence they have a one day grace period, only one day overstay, no problem and no fine.

added June 19, I have overstayed a few times and everytime it has only meant five minutes of routine paperwork and paying the 200 Baht fine to a nonchalant, bored immigration guy at the airport. No questions no problem they only seemed interested in getting the 200 Baht per day. I do now recall Bangkok Phil's horror story of being thrown in prison for one days overstay!

I will post a link to the story here: www.philipwilliams.freeservers.com/page5b.html#overstays

After rereading this I will now take overstays more seriously and avoid them!

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: sanukdee ]

In 1998 I over stayed 4 days ( on a 30 day entry ) thinking no problem.Boy was I wrong!Thinking that it was a simple case of paying 800 Baht, I was despatched to a private office and given a right grilling,followed by my hand luggage being turned inside out, and at the same time a multitude of officials appeared, to give me the beady eye.The upshot was, that after 2 hours I was told I could go,and in no uncertain terms was told,do not overstay again and the appropriate overstay stamp, was placed in the back of the passport.Needless to say,my bags were off loaded and KLM refused to revalidate my ticket and I ended up having to purchase a one way ticket home and subsequently losing 3 days leave.NEVER AGAIN will I overstay!

You really want to hunt for a fine piece that Bangkok Phil wrote in this matter. He was ONE DAY OVER and he got caught and endured the worst few ddays of his life. Hunt for his post, read it, and then read it again.

The easy solution is that the day before your visa runs out, just go down to Immigration in Soi Suan Plu and request an extension. you'll get a few days at the cost of 500 baht and this will ensure that you'll stay out of the immigration detention centre = hell!

Stickman is right,

If Phil reads this he should conside reposting as I believe the post was on the old Delphi board.

If I remember correctly If you are "caught " in Thailand with an out of date visa it can mean a night or nights in jail not just a delay while paying for the overstay.

This is different to showing up at immigration with an out of date visa. Just ask Phil

I AGREE WITH STICKMAN. IF YOU INTEND TO STAY

MORE BEST TO APPLY FOR EXTENTION OF VISA A DAY OR MAY BE TWO DAYS BEFORE EXPIRY OF THIRTY DAYS . IN COUNTRY LIKE LOS ANY THING

IS POSSIBLE NEGITIVE OR POSITIVE

I believe the difference is if you show up at the airport a day over you USUALLY just have to pay the fine and that's it end of story, no further problem.

But if immigration catch you before departure having overstayed then you are in deep shit. Read Phil's story (link in Sanukdee's post above).

I have never overstayed my visa anyway but after reading his experience I NEVER will! I think something like what he endured could put a lesser person off LOS for life. Not worth it IMHO.

Archived