Thai Magazine answer to Stickman on Xenophobia

jasmine

Guest lazyphil

<<Most Thais that I know are quite racist towards Indians, Pakistanis and the like>>

We have an Indian neighbour (up 4 doors) who lives with a German girl, also we had an Indian descended couple from Mauritius next door but one (trainee doctor), shes met my Jamaican/English friend from my school days, she worked with a girl on and off whos half Ghanaian/English....all these people have turned this Thai racist mentality around, however we are all prejudice in some ways subconsciously, its not just a Thai thing. Now this kind of stuff cant be learnt at Universitys in LOS, tolerance and practical experiences of other creeds etc......I know a TG who wont let her kid play with a black neighbours child, amazing!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chico,

After living and working the last five years in LOS and my former years in america, i think you underestimate LOS.

In america, people who have the same or similar skill set, the job will go to the lighter skin or in some cases the better looking person.

In LOS, the job goes to the lighter skin color person even when the skill set is inferior...

That is the difference between the two countries at this point in time. Why? It is not that we are better but the level of our ignorance has been reduced by regulations and institutional policies forcing attitudinal and behavioral change whether we truly believe it or not....

Cardinalblue

[color:"red"] however we are all prejudice in some ways subconsciously, its not just a Thai thing. Now this kind of stuff cant be learnt at Universitys in LOS, tolerance and practical experiences of other creeds etc......I know a TG who wont let her kid play with a black neighbours child, amazing!

[/color]

Very fair statement Phil. I agree that we are all prejudice one way or another. However, what helps me is by being concious of my feelings and give the people a benefit of a doubt. I would want people to treat me that way, not because that I am from Thailand, I am what they may have heard ::

When I was growing up, most of the kids of policemen (like me) were not allowed to play with the locals, however, I played with anyone which helped, also with some Indians and Moslems. Not that the people cared but my parents heard an earful about letting their daughter running with wrong crowd often. :o

IMO, prejudice has to be taught, kids don't know, they want to play with anyone, it is the parents who teach them. :(

However, in my adult life, I ran into prejudice that I had to solve because it was the work environment, I won some, more than I lost, which in my book is good.

Jasmine

<< Not to sound too polyanna but the future does bode well. >>

Some years ago, I heard my dad telling my nephew about how it was when he was a boy -- segregated schools, segregated libraries, seperate YMCA's, seperate restaurants etc. My nephew sat there listening in amazement. Finally, he said, "Grandpa, that's hard to believe."

Who says weren't not making progress!

Archived