Thai Magazine answer to Stickman on Xenophobia

jasmine

There was an article written by Stickman about a month or so ago about some Thai TV commercials. It is a bit too long to post all here so I will try to highlight some.

[color:"red"] The article says that a commercial about a little girl?s balloon (a toothpaste commercial) was stuck on a tree, a black man got it and tried to give it back to the girl and her mother would not let her take it back. Stickman concluded that because he is black. Another one was about a Thai boxer beating up a Burmese. The article goes on to say that because of prejudiced attitude of Thais towards darker skin people and xenophobia, Thailand will never be a developed country, and some legends are just in the Thais? minds. [/color]

The article was reprinted in English by ?Kwanreun? magazine #789, 1st issue of October, 2004, article ?Su Ji Pi Li? and the columnist gave some critique. Below is her answer to the best of my interpretation:

[color:"blue"]

?The toothpaste commercial mentioned had created problem with darker skinned people and the name was changed a little which did not make it better, the purpose was to show that the darker people have whiter teeth and look good.

The Thais are blamed of being lazy, ?mak ngai? ?( easy way out on problems), irresponsible and many other things but never should be blamed on being prejudiced against darker skinned people. The Thai people consist of various skin tones, light or dark, they are still Thais. The Thais have accepted that we have different skin tones, and generally call the Thais as ?Khag, Farang, Chine, Cham?, do not separate them what nationality of the Farangs, Khag (Indian/Middle Eastern descents).

When I was going to school, I had a friend who was a Sri Lanka descent with the last name given by a Thai king like mine. She was very dark with very white teeth, people teased her a little but never acted disrespectful or insulting and she did not feel insulted.

The Thais were used to having different skinned tone people around, then came the colony seekers with mighty forces and some lands had to be given for smaller forces could not fight against such aggression, the ?Farangs? represent the authority, someone to give respect to, to be afraid of, having ability to govern because the countries are thought to be more civilized. For the Thais, the ?Farangs? are pale-skinned, blue/colored eye, no matter what nationality.

The beauty concept has changed over time, at one time dark/tan skinned was considered beautiful for the Thais, now with the media, everyone wants to have white/pinkish tone skin, just watch the cosmetics commercials. Just to have some ?Farang? blood seems to be more beautiful than the full-blooded Thais at this time.

About 60 years ago, around Silom and Suriwong Streets, mix-blooded girls rode the trolleys, speaking English (all we heard was ?I and You?, wearing skirts while we Thais wore sarongs, the real dark people like the ones from Africa was not seen then.

The prejudice occurred by the ?Farangs? in North America with the slaves, not the Thais. The slaves were forced into labor and these people?s line became the US citizens.

I believe that the commercial does not have the intent to show that the mother who refused the help was being xenophobic, just the fear of strangers, which is natural. It is better to be cautious, especially the strangers whom ones never saw the faces, The Thais are famous of being friendly but they are taught that ?RuuNaa MaiRuuJai? (Knowing by sight, not by heart). The pleasant face can cause problems later.

The body?s flaws can be considered an advantage if such people have economic influence to command, some flaws become the desired feature.

Before I was born (the columnist is in her 80s), a woman was born named ?Nang Soa Proma?, bigger and taller than usual and she became strange. If she were born at the present time, the height would have not been a problem because the present Thais admire and like the height of the ?Farangs?.

The face of a giant is not really known but imagined that ?the giant must be big, dark with curly hair?. There is a tribe in Thailand ?Gno? with dark skinned and curly hair, many Thais, when they see the Africans (whatever citizens) assume that these are the giants. It is ingrained to many Thais that the ?giants? are to be feared. The Thai literature that says not to look just for the looks outside, can be golden heart inside is not effective for most people have a hard time believing what they cannot see. There is no prove that which nationality goes for the looks than the heart, must let it be that all people have such nature, no matter what economy they are in, poor or rich.

At this time, I think of ?karma? which makes people born differently with different looks and in different regions with various economic backgrounds. No matter what coverage we all try to make, the ?karma? never got erased.

If the toothpaste commercial were re-done with ?Sornram? replacing the black man, the mother would probably jump for the help. Even though she has not met ?Sornram? in person, but the face is seen on TV. Want to tell the article writer (Stickman) that, it cannot be helped that the mother is afraid of strangers, not xenophobia at all.

No matter what media we see, it is up to us to accept or assume in any way, it is truly ?in our own minds่ [/color] ?- in our own minds is written in English.?

i do believe like the columnist that it is more likely the fear of strangers, not prejudice.

Jasmine

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jasmime,

First of all, thanks for that. :up:

>>>Want to tell the article writer (Stickman) that, it cannot be helped that the mother is afraid of strangers, not xenophobia at all.<<<

But is that not the true nature of xenophobia, and just another nice word for racism? A couple of visits ago, I was in Bang Sing with gf's parents. We all bought a loaf of bread to feed the fish, off the pier on the lake. I gave mine to a little Thai girl, who was looking disappointed that she had nothing to throw to them. After a while, her parents came running up to her, and scolded her for doing. Be that out of fear, ignorance, or whatever.....I felt really bad. She was having a really good time, but parent's were scared of her, being with a farang.

That is pure racism, no matter how you want to cut it. I was clearly with a Thai family, and she was in no danger, of any sort. It was so sad, that parent's instilled in her, that being near a farang, was equated as bad thing for her to do. :banghead:

HT

I totally agree with you. I've had enough black GFs telling me, to understand the feeling that 10, 20, 100 "non-racist" people wary of a stranger, cautious about a black, a way to be looked at, add up to something rightfully called racism .

It is not based on hatred, or on wishing harm on anyone, but based on ignorance or fear/disquietment at the presence of another, which usually is a component for racism and a few other unsavoury things in our societies.

Hi p,

>>>>It is not based on hatred, or on wishing harm on anyone, but based on ignorance or fear/disquietment at the presence of another<<<

Exactly. It was based on ignorance. Fear of the unknown. We all thought she was so cute. Little did her parents know, that I would throw myself in front of a bus, to protect her, much less, hurt her.

HT

I think the analyse the writer makes is totally wrong. Firstly, why would they use a very dark skinned person in the ad? Its hardly like africans are seen in any other part of Thai TV. Why not just use another Thai?

I dont think Stickman was labelling all Thais as xenophobic but rather there is a large majority that are. Living in Thailand, I have been witness to events that make me believe that Thais are xenophobic, but perhaps no more than other Asians.

I think to go back to the slavery issue is way off the mark because I dont see what that has got to do with this issue. Also, the reference to colonial powers doesn't apply. Every Thai I get talking to about their country proudly reminds me they have never been colonized. Sadly, they dont really see that the country is run by the Chinese Thais.

Its clear to me that the reader just took offence at the comments without really considering them. If skin colour doesnt matter why is it that when I watch Thai TV all I see is White Chinese/Thais?

I dont know which part of Thailand the writer lives in but to say Thais accept all skin colours in complete rubbish.

If two girls go for the same job and have similar skills, but one is white and the other has dark skin I would bet the former would get the job.

While one could argue the point from a Thais point of view I dont think the writer has done a very good job. Infact the article in my opinion was very poor.

[color:"red"]I think the analyse the writer makes is totally wrong. Firstly, why would they use a very dark skinned person in the ad? Its hardly like africans are seen in any other part of Thai TV. Why not just use another Thai [/color]

As she mentioned, the darker color person was used to show off the white teeth, it is the toothpaste commercial.

I don't thik she is off the mark on "fear of strangers".

Jasmine

Archived