Looking for/ Want/ Need in Thai

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why is it wierd to say looking for girlfriend rather than lookng for woman.. I realize that I don't understand the totality of translation and that is possible the case but isn't a ying differnet that phooying....as in just looking for a woman and looking for a longer relationship as in girlfriend!

This is getting very interesting...Thanks for the info!

I put the pics up on a url for all to see!

SS,

"So why is it wierd to say looking for girlfriend rather than lookng for woman.. "

I never said such thing.

GF/partner = faen

Woman/female = Phooying or ying

So you could use both, either "yark mee faen" or "yark mee ying".

Not "phooying" as it doesn't sound right in this case according to my girl. Why? dunno, I just believe her :)

Hi,

puuying = female

It's like you saying "I want a female", in English. It's something you would not really say. You would say, 'I want a girlfriend' (faen), 'I want a sexy girl', or 'I want a sweetheart' (tirak, waan jai, etc,).

Puuying would be too formal. Would be like saying you want a person of the female gender. It only denotes gender, like phuuchai = a man. 'Puuying' does not really translate out well to 'girl/woman', as it might in English, all the time. You can't always use it as the same. Do you know what I mean? Kind of hard to explain...

It would be like jumping into a taxi, and saying "Puuying, I want to go to the airport!". That would equate to "Female, I want to go to the airport". It just dosen't work. It's not an endearing term.

It's only used to denote what sex someone might happen to be....

"Have many puuying at Lumpini park at lunch time = "there are many females there".:up:

"My puuying is good to me" = "My female is good to me". :: :down:

Sorry I can't explain it better for you. :o But hope that helps! I'm still learning, too.

HT

[color:"red"]Puuying would be too formal. Would be like saying you want a person of the female gender. It only denotes gender, like phuuchai = a man. 'Puuying' does not really translate out well to 'girl/woman', as it might in English, all the time. You can't always use it as the same. Do you know what I mean? Kind of hard to explain...

[/color]

Puuying is NOT formal HT, it is actually considered quite impolite in certain context. However, for looking for a woman, "Ha pooying is just fine" consider that he may want to pay for the service.

The polite version when you mention a woman is better to use a "Khun" in the front. For example "Khun pooying kno nan tong karn phad Thai". - That lady wants a Phad Thai.

A "teerak" is very GI slang and many females like me can get offended (remember that it came up only during Vietnam war) for it is underlined that "the woman is paid for her service"

[color:"red"] "Have many puuying at Lumpini park at lunch time = "there are many females there".

[/color] This context is ok.

My brother refers to his wife as "Mae Bann khong pom", however if you are not married yet, "fan" is used and it is polite, can use that even if you are married. IMO of course. :D

Jasmine

Archived