Looking for/ Want/ Need in Thai

[color:"red"] So you could use both, either "yark mee faen" or "yark mee ying".

[/color]

Never heard it used in such context. However, I use it "ying" when in a context like "Mee tang ying lae chai nai tee nan" - There are both females and males over there.

Thai language does change a little in certain contexts which is normal for survival but some slang the young ones used get me stunned at times. :o

Jasmine

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see three english spelling for pooying phooying puuying...

which will be most recognizable to a Thai as hacked up attempt to englishize Thai!

Is there a general agreement that

Yark Mee Phooying probably will be seen as looking for Girlfriend?

Jaser...this will be in a bar in with go go girls and closed doors, just like the old days! Yeah. He's a bar tender/owner of a beer bar in Patong so "slutting it up" is OK.

Need to get off the the hat place today!

>>>>Yark Mee Phooying probably will be seen as looking for Girlfriend?<<

No. :banghead: Phooying = female.

Faen (sounds like 'fan'), is the Thai word for 'girlfriend'.

Phom yak mee faen = I want to have a girlfriend

As already said here, 'Ha = looking for/searching'. Just depends on what you want to say. But forget 'phooying'.

I think what you are looking for is, "Phom yak mee tirak"

Khun Jasmine pen gae maak (She be very old person......hahaha) :D. 'Tirak' is not seen as derogatory among younger girls there (post Viet Nam era). My tirak does not think it is a bad word, or having a bad connotation. Simply means sweetheart, girlfriend, partner in life, honey, etc. Same as 'faen'.

Can you be my girlfriend? (pen faen/tirak phom dai mai?) (lit. "be girlfriend me, can"?)

BTW...tirak/faen can also mean 'boyfriend. It's used interchangeably. It doesn't only refer to a woman. "Chun mee faen laew" = "I have a boyfriend already" (if spoken by a woman).

HT

Case closed...thanks for the help of all. I've a Thai Bar near my home but socialize with the bartenders etc so I can go getting this intel as it would be bad for my social life.

Mahalo to all for participating in this long thread!

Now maybe one of the Thai literati here will write it in Thai Characters for you so you can put it on the cap properly ........ no doubt that will have them rolling in the aisles.

2 ways to get Thai from the machine

1. install thai language pack (already on Windows, also support for east asian languages)

2. some good soul can set it up as a gif for you to download..... any printer can deal with it then........ it's just another picture........

you can even search out the words as gifs at this site

http://www.learningthai.com/

SoiSlut said:

I see three english spelling for pooying phooying puuying...

which will be most recognizable to a Thai as hacked up attempt to englishize Thai!

Is there a general agreement that

no version is really well recognizable for a Thai :neener:

Thais have usually much more troubles with the transliteration as we Farangs have

here is the recognizable version: ผู้หญิง

Archived