PC slowing down, any known cause?

thalenoi

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have the full version of Nero or one of these OEM, came with the CD player, Nero 'Express' versions?

If so d/l a trial copy of the real one or learn about 'Bit Torrents' :rolleyes:

Failing all that PM me, and I'll arrange something with you...... or anyone who needs a Slipstreamed Version of WinXP. Let me know what version you have on your machine. Oem or retail, home or Pro or Corp.

Laohuli,

Thanks for the offer, but I will be fine. I know about the torrent thingie. Problem is that I maxed out on the traffic my ISP allows me (a measly 40 gigs, I am looking for a new ISP now) and will have to wait for next month to download a new version of nero.

Cheers!

While I am at it, do this (taken from http://www.tunexp.com):

To Change Visual Effects

Windows provides several options to set the visual effects of your computer. For example, you can choose to show shadows under menus, which gives them a 3-D look. You can tell Windows to display the entire contents of a window while you move it on your screen. To make large text more readable, you can choose to display the smooth edges of screen fonts.

Windows provides options for enabling all of the settings (for best appearance), or none of the settings (for best computer performance). You can also restore the original default settings.

To change visual effects, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance, click Settings.

Click the Visual Effects tab, and then do one of the following:

Click Adjust for best performance to have Windows automatically adjust the settings for best performance.

Click Adjust for best appearance to have Windows automatically adjust the settings for best appearance.

Click Custom, and then click to select the check boxes for those items that you want to turn on. Click to clear the check boxes for the items that you want to turn off.

The "Best peformance" is the one you want.

You will be surprised at how much you can gain upon this, especially on screen update!

Cheers!

Silent runners does the job better than startup.cpl, as it analyses more than just startup progs. It will give you a rough idea of what the processes running on you PC is.

Its a good idea to use startup.cpl to disable stuff though! You can stop unwanted services through control panel, administrative tools, services.

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice....many things to check...

Firstly, I did a defrag when things started slowing down.

I did have a highjack also and do think I got rid of it with highjackthis and register cleansing, altough you never know unless reinstalling...but I have much downloaded stuf on a 56kbs modem...Jezus...

Task manager processes during startup look ok, only one more since slowdown, it just takes longer....there is stuff out there taking care of my keyboard, modem, sound and yes, Norton which are I think CCEVMGR,CCPXYSVC, NAVAPSVC, NISUM.

I have Tweak-XP and will remove some stuff from startup such as Net2phone, TransparantIcons, Transtask whatever this is....there is some Nero stuff and Regionkiller stuff also.

Also decided to upgrade memory, off to Bangkok next week and to Europe, back here late november to measure results...

And what virus/firewal would you guys recommend?

ZoneAlarm and???

Do a google search and find out what is legitimate of your processes. Some Spyware disguises itself very cleverly.

But, if slowdown is the only sympton - think mem upgrade and disk defrag is best idea.

Oh, another option is to get a lot of Belgium beer. Brains works slower then - adaptive to speed of your PC! If in a fix and can't get it, a good advice is Kloster also!!

Cheers!

Archived