PC slowing down, any known cause?

thalenoi

I have a P4 running at 1.7 gigahertz, 256mb PC 133 memory and Win XP pro, Norton firewall and virus cheking.

I have Add-aware, Spybot and Spyware Blaster.

Since august Start-up and Turn off takes a lot of time.

Game playing sometimes almost halt, other times runs perfectly. No real pattern when PC is up and running.

The taskbar regularly gets screwed up, I have a taskbar repair utility that I need to run every few days.

I added a bunch of programs early august (Encarta, Autoroute, several Photo applications) since then I noticed slow downs but don't see why these would be the cause. Only one of these has a process running at startup.

Slowdown got worse last week when Win XP SP2 got downloaded and installed.

I think of increasing memory to 512 mb, plan to buy this in BKK upcoming trip, but will that help?

Thanks for advice.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, add 256 more. should help considerably.

You don't mention what you are running for anti-virus. If it is Norton consider changing it for something that is not bloatware.And make sure they are up to date.

Same with the Norton Firewall.

Use Spybot tools to see what is really in your startup. Virtually nothing is really needed.

Turn off the 'indexing' in Windows XP

Make sure that MS Office does not load at startup.

Check your task manager to see what is running and post it here, may be some stuff that snuck in.

Overall I would suspect a trojan hijacker that is resident in memory. Before running your sypware next time, dump your restore files. Remember that many hijackers can NOT be removed with ANY program .. even though they say they have done it. Manual removal in the registry is the only solution.

Consider doing a Windows "repair" .......... it's a form of reinstall that does not delete programs. Worst case scenario ... backup data, format disc, reinstall everything. Again, useless to backup corrupted files so DUMP the restore first since amny viruses etc hide there. Whole process takes 2-6 hours.

Another thing you might check are programs that are set to run at start up. Startup Control Panel is a nice little utility that I recommend for checking on and disabling unneeded programs that run at startup.

From the author?s website:

Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that allows you to easily configure which programs run when your computer starts. It's simple to use and, like all my programs, is very small and won't burden your system. A valuable tool for system administrators!

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Hi,

doing a 'repair' of Win XP is a good option. Only after you installed SP2 now you need an Win XP install disk with SP2 included. With the original install CD and the SP2 you can do this yourself. Google for 'slipstream win xp sp2' and you got tons of how-tos.

Another option already metioned by LaoHuLi is to disable system recovery - only takes up space on the harddrive (control panel - system - system - restore: check turn off...). Afterwards do a disk cleanup of your system drive. As KS mentioned your system partition might be very fragmented - and my guess is it is almost full as well.

There is an option 'clear pagefile on shut down'. Some tools like xp-antispy give you the option to change the setting. Disable 'clear pagefile on shut down'.

Good luck

you CAN make them bootable. But you need to extract the boot image using Isobuster, then point Nero to that boot image, also change the number of loaded sections to 4 from the standard one. (each sector is 512kb)

Full directions are in the site I pointed out.

Archived