Bahrain???

japio1

• 7 months later...

Bahrain - just the sound of it depresses me. But, alas, will be there for a few days this week.

Any updates on places (nightlife) to visit?

The weather seems to be same as Bangkok - Hot and Hot.

Wrangler, Rock Bottom and Formula One

The Al Bustan Hotel

Bar Bahrain Hotel

Seef mall

Baizon Tower(Best Western) Baisan Hotel and the Baisan Tower coffee shop

Tabasco Charlies

Cheers!

Hi michael,

Bahrain is not a bad place, but is hot right now.

Seef Mall is a shopping mall - like Emporium, not a sanuk venue. Not the same "pick-up" potential as Emporium, imho.

Bab Al Bahrain Hotel is an utter shithole that is best avoided.

Baisan Hotel has The Warbler, pub style place - very nice and Thai ladies normally after 9.30 - 10.00.

Crowne Plaza Hotel, Harvester Bar, has many Thai and Chinese ladies late too.

Diggers in Delmon International Hotel has a good selection - but as always, later in the evening.

Not a lot around earlier.

Where are you staying?

Hope that is helpful.

Khwai

• 3 weeks later...

Women 'trapped by vice gang'

By REBECCA TORR

PROSTITUTES are allegedly paying to come to Bahrain where they are put up in hotels by a gang of Bahraini and Thai men, who then supply them with a steady stream of clients.

A Thai woman claims she agreed to pay BD1,500 to come here over two months ago and has since been working as a prostitute from a hotel, in Juffair, to pay off the debt.

However, she says the gang keeps demanding more cash and is now refusing to give her back her plane ticket to Bangkok until she comes up with another BD200.

She has also been left to pay for her own hotel room, despite being promised free accommodation for three months.

The 24-year-old, who earns around BD100 a day, is too scared to buy her own ticket because she thinks the gang will hurt her if she leaves.

She told the GDN she was one of several Thai women lured to Bahrain by the gang, which promised to help them earn money.

"My friend knows them and took me with her to meet them in Bangkok," said the woman, who asked to remain anonymous.

"They paid for my ticket, the hotel and food.

"When I was in Thailand they said they would pay for my stay for three months, but they only paid for one month.

"They charged me BD1,500 to get here and I have to pay them off in three months."

She said she handed over her passport and plane ticket to the gang on the understanding that she would get them back when she paid the BD1,500.

The gang has since given her passport back, but is still holding onto the ticket - even though she says she has paid off the debt with interest.

"I don't know how much I have paid them - they just take the money I earn and if I need something I ask for some of it back," she said.

She was brought to Bahrain along with her 25-year-old friend, but the hotel is apparently unaware that prostitutes are using its rooms to sleep with clients.

On a typical day she will sleep with two or three customers, who usually pay her less than BD50 per visit.

Meanwhile, she says the amount she owes the gang keeps going up.

"Customers come to the hotel and when I pay off my sponsors I will be able to keep the money I earn," she said.

"The hotel doesn't know anything, I just checked in and that's it.

"I am doing it to support my family back home. My family don't know what I am doing here."

The woman was initially brought to Bahrain on a two-week visit visa, which expired long ago.

After paying a fine of BD40 the gang sent her on a "visa-run" to Qatar, where she stayed for a night before returning to Bahrain the next day to be issued another two-week visa.

When her second visa expired, the gang managed to get it renewed for another two weeks without her leaving the country, she said.

Before coming to Bahrain she worked as a receptionist and cashier for a fast food chain in Bangkok, but confessed to occasionally working as prostitute when times were hard.

"I want to get a better job here in Bahrain," she said. "I want to work as a receptionist, a maid or in a shop.

"I want to get experience so when I go back home I can get a better job."

However, she said that until she pays off her debt she is destined for a life of prostitution.

"I didn't want to come here, but I need the money," she said. "I don't want to do this job anymore. I'm not happy, but it's good money.

"I'm free to come and go, but they want their money. I can't leave without paying because they will find me and give me trouble."

khwaimaisabai said:

Hi chuck,

5000 baht is about the going rate for Bahrain often more. I speak on the basis of my academic research, of course.

Khwai

It sounds similar to the kind of deal Thai girls get into in Japan. Passport, ticket etc. I never know what to make of these stories. The girl in Buffhello's article seems to be getting screwed in more ways than one but I've known girls who sign up for a second term because the money's so good. ::

Many seedy deals going on in Bahrain....there are all sorts of prices out there and all levels and it is true that the girls are often at the mercy of unscrupulous individuals...some girls do make good money and others do not .....

The freelancers down the Rock BOttom seem to do very well and charge 50 bd and upwards but then short time in many hotels is 20 bd .....

I think the story could well be true based on my extensive research on the subject.

Archived