Language help

I have been learning Thai for over a year. I did about 3 months at somchart and have now finished the linguaphone and colloquial thai courses.

While I can talk with confidence about what was covered in my books I dont know where else to go to make my Thai better. Often Thais use words I have never heard of.

I have given up with language schools given the rote learning that I experienced at somchart. Does anyone know of any material or software that can help?

thanks,

IMO learning with a teacher is much better than with software/ books. the teacher can correct your pronounciation and how you make sentences. software/book remain theoretical. what about trying another teacher? what was your bad experience at Somchart?

Hi Samak...good advice but expensive...i looked at that !

Why not go to a local Thai Restaurant and talk with the staff...i find they are happy to help.

You need a Thai national speaker to learn the tones..says he that has a live in teacher and after two years am still learning :doah:

no it is not expensive; there are enough freelancer TEACHER around that teach you for much less than in the official schools (usually the teacher get there only 50% of what you pay); of course you also must practise! try to make conversation with whom ever you can, whether in the restaurant, bars, shoppingcenters etc. etc.

I do practice my Thai everyday, and living in a non falang area I have to. Perhaps getting a different teacher is the way to go.

I didnt have a pariculary bad experience at Somchart, it did give me a good start. However, after a while I got bored with the same old approach to every lesson. While I remember most of the stuff I learnt it was just learning from a set of books that progressively increased ones exposure to the language. However, I thought spending a lesson learning the names for all the different vegtables was a complete waste of time, and most of the stuff wasnt really relevant to my needs.

I would say I am past the beginner stage but where do I find a decent teacher?

Compared to Somchart I found reading my books greatly expanded my understanding of Thai. For example, despite many requests to understand the use of the particle 'na', all I was told was I could use it or not if I wanted to.

With explanations like that I thought I was better of reading my books and practicing with tapes. Indeed, the explaination for the expression 'pai thiow' was also wrong.

Does anyone know of a good private Thai teacher they can recomend?

Hi Chico,

How about Thai for intermediate Learners and Thai for advanced learners by Benjawan Poomsan Becker?

There are definitely a step up from the courses you have completed by now.

I have done both and was rather impressed by them.

Additionally, the Matthew Courage Thai Interactive Course has recently been launched in a second edition with a vast vocabulary for the intermediate and advanced student.

Courage Thai Interactive

Haven`t got it myself, but noticed on other boards that it has gotten great reviews.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived