i want internet at home

iuytrede

i got my own phone line now...so is it really a good idea to buy a computer and use internet from home?

I want nothing else from the computer than internet. I am pretty much computer illiterate and i am too lazy to change that. Is there a simple way of setting up something so i can surf at home?

And how much would that cost? A former friend told me 6000-7000 B for a computer. a used laptop would cost 30000. But if i buy 2nd hand stuff, that probably means i need 2 years of my time to get everything running?

Any advice is appreciated :)

If its only surfing, buy an used one. The time to get it running is the same if its used or new. You still have to install the connection, stay away from Windows NT as operating system though. Its more tricky there as its not plug and play.

It won't go faster to surf on a new one than old. Its the net which is the bottleneck! Pentium III is good nuff, with about 128 MB RAM. I am on Pentium (the one before I and II) with 84 MB RAM, on Windows 98 on ADSL. I use this only for surfing. Seldom have problems.

Bring a friend who can check the used one up when you buy it if possible. If not, start it - look how much memory it counts up at startup, processor type - ask the seller to enter BIOS to show this. Bios will also show harddisk size. Listen to weird disk noises from disk (failing disks do whine) . Ask him/her to run a disk checkup and look for anything which says "bad" (depends on operating system how you do this). Check reading from CD ROM and floppy + writing if its possible on these devices.

I am sure others can supply me here, I am not used PC guru, never bought one used. I do get my PC's from work. Different testing programs can be used (maybe this is simply too much to do when buying an used PC and too picky), Checkit diagnostics is one. PC manufactors ones is also a good bet, most of tham have it on their WEB site.

Cheers!

More backup to CBK's message.

My desktop is 3-years old and surfs quite well. The bottleneck is going to be your connection speed and not your computer.

No need to get higher than 128mbs of ram. 64mb's might even do, but I like to open a lot of windows, and if you open a PDF file within IE it tends to eat TONS of memory and processor time.

You don't need a fast CPU. My friend surfs on a 350mhz CPU and it's fine. She just has to wait 3 minutes for the machine to start when she turns it on :)

Problem is setting the whole thing up. Once it's up and running you should have no problems (as long as you have a decent firewall and virus software). Are you friends with anyone who is computer literate? If you do, I wouldn't be to hesitant to buy a used computer, but I would spend some money on the monitor.

Also, for just that purpose, I would not go with a used laptop because the screen would be small. Also, if something goes wrong, it's much harder to fix. With a desktop, it's much easier to determine what part has gone wrong and much cheaper replacement parts to swap.

<<burp>>

I agree about laptops Gummigut. They are a pain in the ass from a maintenence view. Get a crack in the screen, and you might as well buy a new one as its expensive to replace.

To get a good resolution on them, it costs. At work all want laptops, I don't like it but have to adapt :( And all lose the power adapters, huge costs involved in replacing them.

Cheers!

Archived