TEFL Int'l exposed!!!! by itsmedave

itsmedave

For a while now, I've been pondering getting a TEFL and doing the teaching-in-Thailand thing, so I really appreciate you taking the time to give us the play-by-play. I look forward to future installments, and wish you well in your studies.

So far so good then Dave.

Yes. we will give it pride of place on the ajarn site for sure, but rest assured we will wait until you finish the course.

Bruce Lederhosen reads the ajarn discussion board religiously and its no secret that he and I do not see eye to eye on a lot of matters.

I eagerly await further reports and keep up that unbiased stance - much appreciated.

ps I have to admit that when I read the title of this thread, I got rather excited. What about you Sticky?

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Bangkok Phil ]

As promised, here's the report on the TEFL Int'l teacher training school in Ban Phe. This is a four-week course (I've just finished week one) and I will try to write weekly installments. I understand this may go to the Ajarn site as well (and Phil, feel free to copy it to that site) but I would request that you wait until I've completed the course. The school's owner, Bruce, reads that forum, and I'd hate to have them treat me differently because of, or out of fear of, something I may write. That said...

WEEK ONE

The school arranged a van to pick up, free of charge, those students who showed up at the Bangkok airport on the Saturday before the course began and drive them the three hours it would take to get to the school. I chose this option and was the last of the 4 students who accepted their offer to arrive at the meeting point, even though I was 15 minutes early. Nobody from the school itself was present, but we very quickly and easily made our way to car and were off.

BACKGROUND INFO:

The Tef'l School costs $1590 for the four weeks, including accomodation in a little hotel/school just outside of Ban Phe, and about 30 minutes from the closest city, Rayong. They have what seems to be a very good reputation and brag that, (a) no student has ever flunked out, and (B) every student recv's job offers after attending their course. These, along with the fact that 4 weeks of solid studying away from the distractions of Bangkok would greatly enhance my ability to actually be ready to do a good job once it was completed, were the reasons I chose this school. (Stickman's reccommendation was a strong influence as well) During this report I will attempt to only discuss my experiences and dealings with the staff of the school, and try to let the other students keep their privacy intact.

The four of us, 2 Brits and 2 Americans, got along very well and joked and talked the 3 hours to Ban Phe. (I would later learn that one of those 4 was a frequent reader of this site and knew exactly who I was.) Upon arrival at the school a few people came out to help us with the luggage including a very tall, odd looking Welshman whom I initially mistook for a slightly addled servant of some kind (turns out he was a teacher...and a very nice guy)

One of the students had packed enough for an army including a suitcase so heavy it took four of us to get it up the narrow staircase with its amazingly uneven steps. Finally I opened the door to my room to discover that indeed, distractions would be few. No tv, no hot water, a tempermental toilet and only a few feet separating the bed from the walls on any side. It was clean though, with a full size bed and an efficient air-conditioner. After shooing off the 3 or 4 cleaning girls who were lounging on my bed I quickly washed up and went back downstairs to meet my new mates.

Sounds of childrens laughter and playing were everywhere as the school was hosting an English Adventure Camp and the place was over-run with about 150 Thai kids from about 8 to 15 years. All of the main staff were either taking the day off or busy with the kids so it wouldn't be til a 6pm orientation meeting that I'd meet any of my new teachers. I, along with the other three of my compatriots, decided to explore Ban Phe and set out on foot to the town.

The school is very close to the beach and Beach Rd which is the main street of this small town. A sign on the side of the road very close to the school announces that Ban Phe is 3K away. There are a few restaurants and such before you get that far but we learned it would be a significant stretch o the legs whenever we needed anything from town. About halfway through, 2 of our group decided to turn back, while I and the other NanaPlaza guy walked completely through the town. Not much to see, really, with a 7-11 minimart being the only western establishment in the town. But it was a peaceful pretty place with very friendly people. We headed back in time for the meeting and I was robbed unmercifully when I purchased some chicken and sticky rice from a local vendor. Didn't see any go-go's, (which wasn't something I planned on spending much time at anyway), but did notice a karoake joint.

The leader, Bruce, welcomed us at the orientation and basically went through the rules and agenda of the school. The head teacher, Dave, was enjoying his weekend so we wouldn't see him until classes began Monday. There would be 14 of us in the class as 2 had had to postpone their arrival to another month. We were to expect to be in class, or teaching at a school from 9 - 4:45 Monday - Friday, with an average of 2 hours of homework each day. Cautioned, we were, that the one way to fail the course, was to fall behind in these assignments and let them build up to the point it was impossible to catch up.

Bruce had to leave after one hour because he was scheduled to lead the Thai students in a talent show. Most of our group went out to find a bar, but I stayed behind to check out the talent show and wound up getting into it so much that I stayed til the bitter end. The students were both cute and friendly, singing and dancing to Britney Spears songs while dressed up like some sort of tree people. They all wanted to say hello and shake my hand. This was followed by a limbo contest where I was truly amazed at how low the stick went before a winner was proclaimed. It was a fun night.

After these festivites as I was walking back to the hotel lobby, I was intercepted by the cutest teacher who had brought her students to the camp. We talked about ourselves for awhile, and darn it if we didn't wind up singing a duet of John Denver's "Country Roads", her favorite song. (For those who don't remember my first trip report, when I went to my first massage parlor in Bangkok the masseuse and I did the very same thing.) What is the deal with Thai's and "Country Roads?!! Unfortunately, I have not yet again seen this beautiful teacher for whom I was acheing to be assigned some homework.

Back inside the hotel, sometime teacher/sometime business administrator Erica was braiding a girls hair and suggested we watch some dvd's on the lobby's tv. Erica is the girl you'll correspond with via e-mail until you arrive. She was pretty much as I expected from her e-mails. An attractive, slightly batty hippy-chick, vegetarian/nature type from Canada who's probably never said a cross word in her life. This would be common among the staff at Tefl, who are without execption extrememly friendly and easy to talk to. Full Metal Jacket was selected and we spent the rest of the night watching Kubrick blow up gooks while various Thai women milled about.

Due to many many Thai holidays, our schedule was altered and on our first class Monday we learned that we would begin teaching a Thai student THAT VERY DAY because they would be out of school Thursday and Friday. While preparing for and spending my time with my student was easily the best and most instructive portion of the week's studies, having it begin the first day left us a bit overwhelmed and insecure on the first meeting. Our head teacher, Dave, gave hints as to what we might expect, but we felt unprepared as we inflicted ourselves on the poor kids.

(Due to my internet time running out, I will have to close this edition of the report, and try to get to an internet cafe sometime during this week to finish it)

Dave

P.S. Your responses with feedback and questions will be most welcome.

Phil,

You and I agree or have similar views on most things, but I think TEFL International is one aspect if Thai life where we do see things differently. Having said that, I am obviously keen to hear feedback from people and I know that Bruce, the director, would want me to maintain a healthy interest.

Stick

great!

i looked at this place before on internet, when i was getting fed up with my job (now resigned already, what a relief). Stickman's site was the one to lead me to look at them...

at present not sure if i really want to pursue this type of new career - but your report is extremely useful, and enjoyable.

meanwhile, i'm going to AUA for thai lessons.

keep those reports coming..

thanks

coops

Archived